Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 PH helmet/gas mask

Hiya guys,

Although my main interest is WW2 I've had an interest and to some extent a fascination with WW1 gas warfare. I've got a few books on the subject etc. and I know it's a bloody grim subject but I think it sums up the horror of the war very well. One thing I've had a particular morbid fascination with is the PH gas helmet. It's a very creepy bit of kit and when you see pics of soldiers wearing them they look almost inhuman

To be honest I've been on the look out for one for a few years but not found any for sale (probably due to their rarity) and I'm not sure if I could keep one in my collection because the thought of it makes me uneasy/sends a shiver down my spine. I just wondered if anyone here has/had one in their collection?

Jack.
    Attached Files

I wondered how long it would be before you saw the light

They do come up. I think the last auction house that had one was Bosleys. I would value them between 400 - 500 pounds but they are probably a lot more than that now.

A friend has several relic examples he found at the Hohenzollern Redoubt. I bet someone out there has probably found a mint dug up example all wrapped up.

Sure you wouldnt rather buy a German mask from E-stand and save hundreds of pounds?

Steve.

Comment

Ive seen one in newfoundland as a kid from the 1st R Nfld Regt hung up in the shed in hants harbour Nfld. These were invented right next to my old high school in St Johns by Dr. Cluney Machperson of the 1st R Nfld Regt. Hence the term "Get your Cluneys on" in the modern British army still mentioned as recent as the 80s. The "Gas helmet". Ive seen other examples just like this one in the Nfld Museum. Nice one!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X