Unknown British badge - Sphyinx - Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown British badge - Sphyinx - Egypt

I know that we have a number of collectors here who are interested in the Black Watch. Can anyone supply any information on this badge?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve.

Last edited by yellow; 07-22-2007, 06:53 AM.

I just found one that sold on ebay this month.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bonnet-cap-bad...QQcmdZViewItem

I guess all my questions are answered.

Wonder if uscob and Adam has an example in their collections

Steve.

Comment

Hi The badge you found on ebay was not correctly described, what you have is a back badge worn on the reverse of the head gear.

PAUL

Comment

Hello Guys,

There is only one regiment in the world that wears a cap badge on the rear of the regimental headdress... The Gloustershire Regt. I don't think that this is the Gloustershire's back badge, for if it were, it would be surrounded by a wreath of laurels. This is more than likely a collar dog for The Black Watch.

Seph

Comment

Collar badge of the 2nd Battalion, The South Wales Borderers c1903.

The back badge of a Sphinx in a wreath, once worn by the Gloucestershire Regiment, continued to be worn by the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment and is now worn by members of 'The Rifles'.

Comment

Hi Marc, Can you please quote the references source, thanks Steve.

Comment

Steve, if you can get to your local libraries.. search out the two volumes of 'K & K' = Kipling and King. They have always been considered the best authority on British and Commonwealth Army cap badges.

The two volumes are just over A4 size, with the first being about 1.3/4 inches deep and the second about 1.inch.

There are many other excellant books on the same subject, and I'm certain that other British Cap Badge expert within the forum can advice you further.

Seph

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                Hi Marc, Can you please quote the references source, thanks Steve.
                British Infantry Collar Badges, by Colin Churchill.

Comment

I went through K&K today and there is no reference to this badge in those books. I couldnt find a chapter on bonnet badges either.

I also contacted the ebay seller........and his response to Marc was......."check the size its too large to be a collar."

Could all those bidders on eBay of got it wrong too?

Steve.
                  Last edited by yellow; 07-24-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I thought from your own admission you had nothing to do with eBay and most certainly trusted your own many years of hands on experience to tell you whether a badge was the real deal.

Crack on, at least there isn't a fake Gaunt tablet on it .

Could all those bidders on eBay of got it wrong too? Want the short answer or the the long answer?
                    Last edited by Jim Maclean; 07-24-2007, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Jim there is no one who has handled every badge ever produced for the British Army. Although there are people who have come close, one of those people I am told is Lew from Clanfield Militaria who is the ebay seller in this case.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                        I also contacted the ebay seller........and his response to Marc was......."check the size its too large to be a collar."
                        Awaiting a reply from the Regimental Headquarters of the Black Watch.

Comment

I do not own the Churchill book but I have been informed that badges illustrated in that book are to scale. None of the sphinx badges measure 1.5 inches in diameter and the majority are nickel not gilt brass. So I think Lew has a very good point about the size.

A listing from Marlows:

48 Selection of Black Watch Cap and Collar Badges
                          cap badges include 2 x Victorian white metal ... 2 x KC OR’s white metal ... 2 x post 1937 KC OR’s white metal ... QC anodised ... QC white metal ... QC gilt and silvered ... Gilt sphinx Officer’s bonnet ... Silvered sphinx pipe band bonnet ... 4th VB/Glenalmond white metal collar badges ... 20 various collar badges ... 2 x T4RH titles ... T5RH title ... T6 RH title ... T7RH title ... T6/7 Black Watch title. 60 items and buttons (£120 - £160)

http://www.marlowsauctions.co.uk/m6/m6.html

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X