Australian Vietnam Era Para Smock ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Vietnam Era Para Smock ???

This is an odd looking bit of gear to my eyes.
    The seller is not a "put together" type of person,so it would have come
    to them as is.

Its British para style,but dated 1968 with an Aussie OS rising sun.
    "COMMONWEALTH of AUSTRALIA SMOCK COMBAT 1968 PATTERN E74162"
    I have one in OD thats
    "COMMONWEALTH of AUSTRALIA SMOCK COMBAT 1969 PATTERN E42508"
    Made in Derby England.
    Anyone got any info on the pattern,cut or history ?
    Cheers

Last edited by dsgrant; 07-15-2007, 07:54 PM.

Might have been on exchange with the Brit forces, or perhaps a private purchase? Hard to say without a direct explanation from the owner.

With exchanges we usually wear our own uniform, but it is possible that this may have been worn as it was better than issue at the time.

The most common pattern used by SF in 'Nam was Tiger-Stripe or the US ERDL.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Yeah,I dont believe it to be Nam worn,it has the OS duty sun,but I feel it was probably worn by an aussie serving with brit paras somewhere.It does have someones name on the label,might get it for interest sake and see were it leads me.
      ERDL was our SAS's favorite gear,Im working on a set up now for them.
      Should turn out nice.
      Cheers

Comment

This was the standard issue Combat Smock circa 1968, the word smock in the title has nothing to do with parachuting. Smock, Mans, Combat, was the designation of all these 'Jackets' until the introduction of the current Combat Soldier series of; Jacket, Lightweight and Jacket Field.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
          This was the standard issue Combat Smock circa 1968, the word smock in the title has nothing to do with parachuting. Smock, Mans, Combat, was the designation of all these 'Jackets' until the introduction of the current Combat Soldier series of; Jacket, Lightweight and Jacket Field.
          Well that widens the possibilities then, I still think there is a good chance that he was an exchange soldier as we did, and still do, run the "Longlook" exchange program with all arms of the British forces.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

An uncle who was infantry in the early 70's (finally left the army in 1998) has told me on many occassions of Australian Army in the field during this time would wear camouflage uniforms from other countrys due to Australia not having a cam uniform at the time. The most popular being US cam bring backs from Vietnam. He actually wore US ERDL cams during this period whilst in the field.
            It is very possible that this was a 'bringback' and used in this capacity.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Aave Johns View Post
              Well that widens the possibilities then, I still think there is a good chance that he was an exchange soldier as we did, and still do, run the "Longlook" exchange program with all arms of the British forces.

Regards;

Johnsy
              Thats what Im thinking,exchange program early 70's.

Comment

Standard '68 pattern smock. Probably swapsies. Becoming hard to find.

Comment

Agreed, nothing sexy about this one but a scarce find these days as Tony says. The tail was a standard item on DPM's and has nothing to do with parachuting. Rather it is to stop one dissappearing up ones own A hole when reversing out of cover.

Still a nice smock though.

Yours, Guy.

Nice site BTW!

Originally posted by Tony Farrell View Post
                  Standard '68 pattern smock. Probably swapsies. Becoming hard to find.
                  Last edited by Guy; 08-04-2007, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X