ID'd 1st Pattern FS Commando Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mike,
    I was not aware that you were buying and selling militaria as a business as you only mentioned that you wanted to know about value, and that your friend 'wanted it badly'. A lot of us put Ad's in the local paper to see what turns up
    It seemed strange enquiry as a friend is someone you don't mess with.
    I apologise if I misunderstood.
    You have those links showing some of the prices they make. You can take your pick as I would go along with Ade. £1000 is about average for a good one.
    For me I would still sell at the price I bought it and forgo the profit, if it was a good friend
    Regards
    Irv

Comment

Mike,
      Like Ade says, the figure of 1200 seems a small number as you see 1st Patts on a regular basis. They fetch the high bucks because they are the centre of any good FS collection. Or it might be that more survived because they were nice and shiny and they kept them tucked away. I have my ex father in laws. He was in the RM's from 1937-1972 and when he gave me his 1st Patt it was mint! He told me he was issued it and he put it in his kit bag and that is where it stayed. I don't think he wanted to get that close!
      If you looked at how often a type of knife comes up to work out what it's worth you should look to a ww2 3rd Patt with the FS/WS etching on for a hard to find knife I think I have seem a dozen of so over the years, and very much harder to find than rocking horse sh1t
      Regards
      Irv

Comment

[quote=britpc;2081004] I don't think he wanted to get that close!/quote]

Funny you say that Irv, mine came from a Army Commando Vet who was sure he would get a bullet in the back of the neck if got caught carrying it. So it stayed in his billet in Scotland for most of the war.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by britpc View Post
          Hi Mike,
          I was not aware that you were buying and selling militaria as a business as you only mentioned that you wanted to know about value, and that your friend 'wanted it badly'. A lot of us put Ad's in the local paper to see what turns up
          It seemed strange enquiry as a friend is someone you don't mess with.
          I apologise if I misunderstood.
          You have those links showing some of the prices they make. You can take your pick as I would go along with Ade. £1000 is about average for a good one.
          For me I would still sell at the price I bought it and forgo the profit, if it was a good friend
          Regards
          Irv
          Irv,
          If I let every one of my friends make off with a piece they really liked for what I paid for it, I'd having nothing left and then wonder why they wouldn't be doing the same for me . I guess their is a fine line when selling to friends, this guy could care less, he is a professional soldier, like me, and has better things to be worrying about than to be mad at me for making a profit . I appreciate the information on the knife and the estimates!

Best,
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by britpc View Post
            Mike,
            Like Ade says, the figure of 1200 seems a small number as you see 1st Patts on a regular basis. They fetch the high bucks because they are the centre of any good FS collection. Or it might be that more survived because they were nice and shiny and they kept them tucked away. I have my ex father in laws. He was in the RM's from 1937-1972 and when he gave me his 1st Patt it was mint! He told me he was issued it and he put it in his kit bag and that is where it stayed. I don't think he wanted to get that close!
            If you looked at how often a type of knife comes up to work out what it's worth you should look to a ww2 3rd Patt with the FS/WS etching on for a hard to find knife I think I have seem a dozen of so over the years, and very much harder to find than rocking horse sh1t
            Regards
            Irv
            Irv,
            I had heard that commandos didn't carry them into battle and I specifically asked Walter about that and he said he carried it everywhere, attached to a "toggle rope" that they used to scale cliffs with. With any piece of gear, I guess opinions varied, and what was true for one wasn't true for the other.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X