ID'd 1st Pattern FS Commando Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID'd 1st Pattern FS Commando Knife

I collect US Marine, not Royal Marine, so I was surprised when this gentleman called me on my classified ad. His name is Corporal Walter Keen and he was a British Royal Marine Commando. Turns out he was a member of 40 and 41Commando during WW2. He joined the Chatham Marines in 1940 and volunteered for the Commandos in 1941. After intense training up and down England and in Scotland, he was one of the few who made it. He joined the unit shortly after the botched raid at Dieppe and landed at Anzio under fire of huge German guns. He was wounded at Cassino and joined back with his unit at the Island of Vis to take part in many raids around the islands of Yugoslavia. He also participated in Yugoslavian partisan raids and in the Balkans and near Greece. He was a Bren gunner and carried his Fairbairn-Sykes knife throughout his campaigns.

The knife is not in perfect shape, has never been cleaned, is in the original scabbard, is made by Wilkinson Sword and bears his initials on the reverse side.

My question is what is a good market price on this piece with its history? I have a good friend who flies with me who is a Royal Marine who wants it very badly. I don't want to leave too much on the table, but also get a fair price for it as well. I have seen some prices these fetch but none have had the history this one has.

Thanks for the discussion.

usmcaviator
    Last edited by usmcaviator; 07-15-2007, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Photo taken yesterday of Corporal Keen and his (my) knife.

Corporal Keen circa 1944 or 1945 in Naples.

Comment

Hi,
                Great knife It's always wonderful to have the history with one of these knives.
                The question of what the price is, I think should have been asked before you bought it from this brave Royal Marine. That said I think you should sell it to your friend for the same price you bought it from this gentleman.
                I have a very good friend who flew Birddogs in Vietnam in 1970, I gave hime one of my 1st Patt's. He is a very good friend.
                Regards
                Irv

Comment

I believe this model is consitantly selling for 1,200 doallrs or more, there will be a nice one on the COLLECTOR'S GUILD SITE next upgrade for that amount.

PAUL

Comment

Hi, Irv and Paul have given you some idea of prices. "Regimentals" also have a few in stock. Checkout Malcolm's prices

I don't normally comment much on "values" on the forum, but given this knife has such nice provenance I would rate it at £1000/$2000.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information, leads and places to look. Do we know how many of this pattern knife were made?

Best,
                      Mike

Comment

The figure of 1,200 is quoted in a couple of books. I don't know how Irv feels about this? Owning one myself, I would like to think it is true, but I often wonder about it, given that you do see a few on the market today.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by britpc View Post
                          The question of what the price is, I think should have been asked before you bought it from this brave Royal Marine. That said I think you should sell it to your friend for the same price you bought it from this gentleman.
                          I have a very good friend who flew Birddogs in Vietnam in 1970, I gave hime one of my 1st Patt's. He is a very good friend.
                          Regards
                          Irv
                          To assume that I just stole this knife at a low price, is to assume too much. Also to assume that because I did so, I should not make profit, is also to assume too much. I run a business, and like all businesses they must make a profit. I turn what I do not collect. I have to pay for my cost in advertising (which is huge in a large town w/ 3 different newspapers), time in effort in gas and distance driven. I spend all of my spare time tracking down these items. Sorry it may seem a shame in your eyes to sell this, but I have to pay my bills!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
                            The figure of 1,200 is quoted in a couple of books. I don't know how Irv feels about this? Owning one myself, I would like to think it is true, but I often wonder about it, given that you do see a few on the market today.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade.,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X