X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian rgt number ?

Does this look like a Canadian number ?
    Attached Files

Yes, it does look like a Canadian sevice number. The letter corresponds to a certain military district so you should be able to narrow it down to a particular regiment. I think Service Publications did a book on service numbers, but I believe it's out of print at the moment.

Originally posted by paulbear View Post
    Does this look like a Canadian number ?

Comment

Paul... I've looked in Clive Law's book Regimental Numbers of the Canadian Army and the letter R doesn't show up. A-N , P,U,W.X and some double letters but no R's. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jim anderson View Post
        Paul... I've looked in Clive Law's book Regimental Numbers of the Canadian Army and the letter R doesn't show up. A-N , P,U,W.X and some double letters but no R's. Hope this helps.
        It could be a guy from the First World War? Paul, do you have an approximate age on the watch?

Gary

Comment

THANKS ALL FOR THE FEEDBACK have been informed that it is a number for aircrew

PAUL

Comment

If you are referring to RCAF, this is not necessarily an aircrew man.

All non-commissioned members of the RCAF, regardless of employment air/ground during WW2 had service no. prefix "R".

RCAF officer prefixes were "J" or "C". The "C" numbers mostly to those who joined pre-WW2.

Comment

this is a non com then as the prefix is R and some research will be required to establish his job station.

paul

Comment

Yes Paul,

I am going to post a query on rafcommands.com regarding the assignment of service numbers to non-commissioned RCAF members during WW2.

The Canadian army recorded the blocks of service numbers that were allotted by each Military District (MD) with prefix letters , and they at least provide a clue as to the place and time of an enlistment

I have found no similar records for RCAF service no. asignments.

Hopefully there is some literature/records out there. Will keep you posted.

Cheers, Ken

Comment

Much appreciated

Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X