R.Irish.Regt.MC Winners Uniform/Paperwork Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.Irish.Regt.MC Winners Uniform/Paperwork Group

Just thought I'd post some pics of a uniform/medal/paperwork group I picked up recently to a MC winner in the Royal Irish Regiment, part of the 16th Irish Division. Straight out of the familys house in Dublin. Possibly the biggest groupng to any single person I've ever seen. All military related! Thanks to our crap summer I haven't got round to photographing it all so this is just the uniform items. I'll keep members up to date as I sift through the paperwork and check out the medals etc.

The uniform and cap are completely Dublin made, see the pics! The owners name in both cap and tunic only appear under black light, both show considerable wear. Of particular interest is the green 'diamond' on the sleeve. This indicates he served some time at least with the 36th 'Ulster' Division. Quite why and in what capacity I don't know as you would think he would have the 16ths 'Shamrock' badge. Perhaps the paperwork will reveal all. Adam
    Last edited by Diocles; 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM.

pic1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Diocles; 07-17-2007, 08:21 AM.

Comment

p2
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Diocles; 07-17-2007, 08:22 AM.

Comment

p3
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Diocles; 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM.

Comment

p4
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Diocles; 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM.

Comment

p5
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Diocles; 07-17-2007, 08:24 AM.

Comment

p6
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Diocles; 07-17-2007, 08:25 AM.

Comment

p7
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Diocles; 07-17-2007, 08:26 AM.

Comment

A bit embarrassing, the first time this has happened,why can't I see my own pics

Comment

Hi Adam,

Try editing the posts and re-attaching the photos.

Comment

Thanks Des. The problem was with the Broadband provider hence the delay. It's taken nearly a week to get the disk with the new drivers etc. and get back on line.

I've since picked up the rest of the collection. I've got a shot of the loose paperwork,over sixty items,everything from secret orders and field intelligence reports to train tickets and hospital discharge papers. Even his original invite to interview and acceptance letter from Irish Command, Nassau St. Dublin!
                      What I haven't photgraphed yet are his certificates, medals,trench maps and books. I did photograph one item of particular interest as I have never seen one before,his ship label detailing his wounds. Adam
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ship Label
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, very nice Adam. You don't see stuff like that too often.

Comment

Just thought I'd update Forum members with pics of the rest of the collection. Now I've had time to read everything I can give a quick snapshot of his career.
                            Posted initially to the 3rd (training and replacement) Battalion,Royal Irish Regiment in Decenber 1915 for training he missed the action at Loos. At least some of this training was done just 30 miles from where I live at Ballykinlar.
                            Posted to the 6th 'Service' Battalion R.I.R. at the front in August 1916, he received an 'Irish Brigade' certificate for his actions on 9th September'16 at Ginchy. He was 'Mentioned in Dispatches' 13th November'16 and 'Gazetted' for a Military Cross on 18 June'17, ( he had been wounded in a trench raid at Ginchy on 5th April 1917 and it was most likely for this action he was awarded the MC ). When the 6th Battalion was dissolved because of reorganisation in February 1918 he was one of seven officers and 296 men transferred to the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish.
                            He was wounded for the third and last time serving with the 2nd Bat.R.I.R at Albert on the 21st August 1918 while engaged following up the Anson Battalion in attack.
                            The 2nd Battalion, as with most of the 'Regular' Battalions, had been transferred after the 'Kaiserschlacht ' in March 1918. The largely destroyed 16th Irish was returned to England ostensibly to be rebuilt. It never returned to France as an 'Irish' Division. Hence the 16th's famous Div patches have been removed from the uniform! Discharged in 1919 because of his wounds he was listed on his discharge certificate as belonging to 3rd Battalion.R.I.Regt. Enjoy the pics! Adam
                            Attached Files

Comment

Mentioned in Dispatches.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X