Royal Australian Regiment uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Australian Regiment uniform

I have had this for years, but didn't have a digital camera until recently. For some reason, I thought the cord meant 4th Battalion, but I can't remember or find my reference.
    Attached Files

Close up of the insignia:
    Attached Files

Comment

Found this photo, which may be of interest, it's the officers of 4RAR during their tour of Vietnam in 1971.

http://www.diggerhistory2.info/4rar/images/officers.jpg

Most seem to be wearing the lanyards, but over their right shoulders.

The photo is taken from this site which details the history of 4RAR in Vietnam: http://www.diggerhistory2.info/4rar/page/site-map.htm

And some more info here: http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...sasr/4_rar.htm

Can't seem to find any colour photos or references for the lanyards - but I believe you are correct in assuming that each battalion of the RAR had their own distinctive pattern.

Comment

yes, every battalion of the RAR have their own distinctive lanyards and the RAR wear their lanyards on their left shoulders, something of which only the A field battery, the battalions of the RAR (Royal Australian Regiment), the Special Air Service Regiment, commando units and university regiments are allowed to do.

- Chris

Comment

lanyard

4RAR wore/wear a red lanyard.That one I believe is 8/9RAR.
          Cheers,
          Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by paul.j View Post
            4RAR wore/wear a red lanyard.That one I believe is 8/9RAR.
            Cheers,
            Paul.
            Like Australian patches, lanyards are a science unto themselves...BTW, the 8/9th RAR's colours were Slate Grey and Beech Brown.

Regards;

Johnsy
            Last edited by Aave Johns; 07-14-2007, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Well, with 4RAR and 8/9RAR we have bracketed the target. Time to fire for effect:

5/7 RAR wears a braided gold/maroon lanyard. They're the only ones in RAR with a multicolored lanyard. I'm color-dumb, but I think that might be right.

Your lanyard science textbook: http://www.defence.gov.au/army/ASOD/...ASODP03/02.pdf

By the way, I discovered that the uniform is named:
              Attached Files

Comment

You should be able to trace his service history or at least narrow it down to the most likely.That version of ASOD's is out of date as 5/7 have now split,and are wearing their original lanyards now,
                Paul.

Comment

You should be able to trace his service history or at least narrow it down to the most likely.That version of ASOD's is out of date as 5/7 have now split,and are wearing their original lanyards now,
                  Paul.
                  See this link for a overview of the RARs.

Regards;

Johnsy

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...sasr/1_rar.htm

Comment

In looking at the Vietnam veterans database, this is the closest match I could find:

TUCKER, Peter John
                    1 Australian Reinforcement Unit
                    6th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment
                    7th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment
                    Australian Army Training Team Vietnam

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Danner View Post
                      In looking at the Vietnam veterans database, this is the closest match I could find:

TUCKER, Peter John
                      1 Australian Reinforcement Unit
                      6th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment
                      7th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment
                      Australian Army Training Team Vietnam
                      highly doubtful it's him as the AATV earned a presidential unit citation and this uniform lacks one. But maybe he could only wear the PUC with his AATV uniform... I am not up on modern-ish uniforms.

- Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chippler View Post
                        highly doubtful it's him as the AATV earned a presidential unit citation and this uniform lacks one. But maybe he could only wear the PUC with his AATV uniform... I am not up on modern-ish uniforms.

- Chris
                        The PUC is transferable to any dress uniform, regardless of unit, or indeed service if it is covered under dress regulations with regards to wearing of honours and awards i.e. there is no reg allowing the wear of an ICB on RAAF uniform, but the PUC is covered, both are allowed in the RAN.

In any case, there may be any number of reasons why it is missing if this is Peter Tucker, AATTV, not least that it was lost.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Rar

Maybe in the Navy but not in the army.
                          Paul.

Comment

Maybe in the Navy but not in the army.
                            Paul.
                            Note that I said any dress uniform, not uniform.

As we are now a tri-service "purple-ised" outfit I have had enough interaction with the opposition to know what I'm talking about, having worked in Campbell Park and Russell Offices, and now at Pitt Street. I have seen the PUC worn on the short sleeved poly shirt and the ceremonial jacket, just as you can in the Navy. For reasons unknown we wear Unit Citations under our ribbons, whereas the Army wear them on the right hand side. Just to back that up, from the latest ASOD.

4.17 Emblems of unit awards are worn on the right side, above the pocket of the shirt, Service dress jacket and utility jacket. Miniature emblems are worn on the right lapel of mess dress. The embellishment
                            is not worn on DPCU, protective dress, sweaters, raincoat or overcoat.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X