Who knows this Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knows this Cap

A friend asked me about the Cap but I don't know it.
    I saw them from time to time and have some of the badges but never found any info.
    Maybe somebody can help.
    Nico
    Attached Files

Army & Navy Supply Stores
    Attached Files

Comment

a guess is that it is bandsmans cap

Comment

yup...think it is a bandmasters cap...rank of warrant officer...which band of which regiment i do not know!

Comment

Well it wouldn't be a WO or any NCO for that matter.

With that amount of scrambled eggs on the visor (Funny American Term) it can only be a Big or Sub-Col which sort of rules out it being a bandsman's hat.

My guess it is simply a civy Bandsmen hat purchased for a military tailor and has nothing to do with military.

The badge look like the Corps of Military Music but it is very crude and isn't the CAMUS a new badge only created in 94?

Comment

The cap is for a full Colonel late of a Cavalry regt (might be 16th lancers) but the badge is not right as the Victorian crown does not match the age of the cap.

Alan

Comment

That is a good explanation as well.

Comment

Sorry, but this cap has nothing whatsoever to do with any cavalry regiment, including the 16th/5th Lancers(as they have been since 1922). That regiment, now part of the Queen's Royal Lancers, had a cap that looked superficially similiar, but was scarlet and dark blue, not black as this cap. Also all lancer regiment caps had piping "quartering", on front, back and sides, to simulate their old full dress czapkas. Also, any colonel or brigadier ex-any regiment or corps in the British Army wears a dark blue crowned cap, with col/brig. embroidered badge. Some wear the band in the color of their old regiment or corps, for example, I have a cap from this rank ex-RAMC, and it has a cherry red band, the facing color of the Royal Army Medical Corps.
                This cap is likely civilian, with no military connection.

Comment

Deleted

Comment

To my knowlege it must be official as private Bands are not allowed to wear the Crown.
                    Got the info that the Top of the Cap is completely dark blue.
                    Does anybody knows something about the Store? In what period it was there.
                    To my knowlege there is a printing office today.
                    Nico

Comment

The big 'if' here is "Do these two (Badge and Cap) even belong together?"

Looks like this is just a put together of some kind either by intent or just happenstance.

While the cap comes from a military tailor, is original and is for a high ranking officer (what type is anyone guess) the badge is just not right for it.

This could just be anything from a theater prop to a child's plaything ??

Comment

Vicky crown on badge???

Comment

The nearest thing to the badge would be the RBL band that still wears the Victorian crown.

The cap I would suggest is made for the band master of some private band. I have never seen solid 'scrambled eggs', only woven for Lt. Col. and above. It's a bit reminiscent of the wartime RN cap badges that were made solid but beautifully as an economy measure rather than woven wire. I don't think that the woven portion was ever simulated by the solid though. It also just doesn't look right for a senior officer's cap.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X