British/russian war medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British/russian war medal

Hi, Can anyone shed any light on a 1914-18 british war medal with the rim stamping nth. russ.ex. force. It would appear that the recipient was a member of the North Russia expeditionary force but why would it be stamped on the medal instead of the regiment or corps. He was a pte with a 6 digit regimental number so must have been in a regiment. Thanks Jack

That's a new one on me. It should have the recipient's number, rank, name and unit and nothing more.

Comment

Hi Tony, Thanks for the reply. I am 100 percent sure that it has not been doctored in any way. In fact is is black as the ace of spades ,some would call it well toned. It would be akin i suppose to having a war medal stamped up with name rank number to the British expeditionary force . My theory is that the intervention in North Russia occurred at the end of ww1 into1919 and that personnel sent to this campaign were not strictly combatants in the great war but were given the war medal as an expedient. Does that make sense? Anyway looks like it will remain a mystery. Incidentally is there any publication out there that lists all the different regimental and other abbreviations that would have been on ww1 medals. Thanks Jack

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X