Opinions on this short version F-S dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this short version F-S dagger

I believe this is an agent F-S dagger, the short, thick version. What do you guys think of it? Looks as a good original knife to me.

Short Version FS

An interesting piece for sure, but uncertain if this is anything other than a converted, hand-made or shortened Knife. There are a couple of books that illustrate so called "Agents" Knives, but I have never been convinced they are authentic. In any event a neat piece to own Clive.

Comment

Hi Clive, this indeed could be a hand made or converted knife but I don't believe that it's a 'regular' F-S that has been shortened. The structure of the grip is very different than the daggers that I have and it's shorter and thicker.

I owned a copy Dr. Windrums book on commando knives (but I sold it ) and a couple of these versions were indicated as 'agent' knives..

Anyone else got some additional info?

Comment

Hi ?? (sorry don't know your name)

The grip isn't a standard FS grip(but very similar to the 2nd patt), nor is the blade or even the nut. Has the nut the vice/clamp marks? Did it come with a scabbard? Is the cross guard stamped steel? Looks Aluminum with parallel sides?
        All in all a mystery. Could be WW2 private made or a post war private made knife
        looks old but that doesn't always guarantee age. Got any history on it?

Very interesting
        Regards
        Irv

Comment

Originally posted by britpc View Post
          Hi ?? (sorry don't know your name)

The grip isn't a standard FS grip(but very similar to the 2nd patt), nor is the blade or even the nut. Has the nut the vice/clamp marks? Did it come with a scabbard? Is the cross guard stamped steel? Looks Aluminum with parallel sides?
          All in all a mystery. Could be WW2 private made or a post war private made knife
          looks old but that doesn't always guarantee age. Got any history on it?

Very interesting
          Regards
          Irv
          Hi Irv, thanks for the reply. The knife doesn't come with a scabbared nor a story. It doesn't have any marks but it sure looks like the one I've seen in Windrums book..

Comment

Short Version FS Knife

The knives illustrated in Dr Windrum's book may not all be original. I have heard mention, by advanced Knife collectors, that many are fantasy pieces. For accuracy and information look at Flook's book, or Stephens. All the best, Clive.

Comment

FS Knife

To illustrate my previous comment regarding Dr Windrum's book I attach images of a knife that appears in his publication. I bought this a while ago, really due to it being so unusual, also with some "provenance". I have showed it to some fellow collectors, none like it at all. The feeling is that it is a made-up fantasy piece, blade from a 1903 bayonet, rest fabricated. Though I do like this knife, it will always have a major question mark hanging over it. Regards, Clive.
              Attached Files

Comment

FS Knife

Image 2
                Attached Files

Comment

FS Knife

Image 3
                  Attached Files

Comment

FS Knife

Image 4
                    Attached Files

Comment

FS Knife

Image 5
                      Attached Files

Comment

FS 2nd pattern

The smooth aluminium handle type found on some of the rarer 2nd patterns have been attributed in the past to the Polish Airborne.
                        .. I owned one of this type for a time, and actually showed a few veterans the knife. ..
                        None of the veterans recognised this pattern in this style, .. however, ALL did remember the standard knurled brass handle type 2nd pattern.

Regards

Gary J.
                        Last edited by Gary Jucha; 11-22-2008, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen, thanks for the info. I can buy the knife for approx. 200 euro's but I think I'll let it go then..

Comment

Originally posted by Shelbycobra1966 View Post
                            I think I'll let it go then..
                            Wise thing to do if you ask me.

Firstly I don't believe a whole production line was set up to supply knives to a relative small number of agents, when a perfectly decent fighting knife already existed.

Secondly I don't like the looks of it; why is the blade corroded but not the crossguard? Why is the tang not peened over the pommel nut?

The sellers' description on marktplaats.nl is not exactly faultless, the handle is not made from alpaca and they were never bronze plated. And why would he sell for 200 if he is informed a similar one sold for 380??

Cheers, Luc

Comment

It's on ebay now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1513&rd=1&rd=1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X