para smock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

para smock?

have been offered this smock,is it a british para smock? and if so what kind of value are they,rgds dave
    Attached Files

p

Attached Files

Comment

p

Attached Files

Comment

p

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Scrooge,

That is a camouflage Windproof Smock, there are also matching trousers to go with it. It is sometimes seen described as an SAS smock. This example has been modified with a zip. The price I'm not sure, maybe a couple of hundred pounds.

francie.

Comment

p

thanks francie the seller said it was sas but i thought he was just saying that to make it more desirable,rgds dave

Comment

Hi Dave

I am not a huge expert on these jackets/trousers. In my understanding it is because they had been worn by SAS troops on occasion that this is used to sex them up a little, as this was not who primarily wore them.

Not too sure on the price of jackets but am assured they are rarer then the trousers.

The trousers, mint, will set you back around 100 quid and are more frequently seen than the jackets.

As I say I am no expert, although I would love one of these to go into my Indochine collection.

regards

Comment

Also if that is a zip I see then I think this is a modification to the jacket for ease of wear.

Comment

Just to add to this,

the addition of the zip does undermine the value of the smock to a WW2 collector by a fair margin.

The "SAS" moniker is an irritating delaer device also....

Patrick.

Comment

p

hi, i have now lost it i was the under bidder on ebay but the winner failed to pay so was given a 2nd chance and agreed on £80 ,but got in this morning and had an email from seller stating that origional winner had now paid in full, oh well it was nice while it lasted, rgds dave

Comment

p

sorry i got the white screen,and double posted

Comment

The reason that these windproofs are described as 'SAS' is because the SAS were wearing them right up until the mid-'70s until the DPM smock was introduced circa '76.

Comment

I'm no expert on these but I think you should hold out for a better (non-converted) example of these. They are still about.

Jack.

Comment

Camo Jacket

These were a general issue item made during the war but seem to have not been issued on a big scale. Like the camo tank suits, many of these were sold off as surplus in mint condition. I think the value has been inflated due to people stating they were for SAS and Paratroops, this is not true. Both SAS and Para's wore Denison if they could. The only occasion I heard of these being issued to paras were as a replacement garment on the continent. There are wartime photos of Poles and Canadians wearing these as well as Brits in the latter part of 1944. Again very rarely and it appears the majority remained in the boxes in the UK.

Ken

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts View Post
                            I'm no expert on these but I think you should hold out for a better (non-converted) example of these. They are still about.

Jack.

Comment

The windproof smocks were on general issue to 52nd (Lowland) Division in their Mountain role and were worn at Walcheran/Flushing and susequent actions - but from reading With the Jocks it seems replacements were a bit hit an miss and after a bit of action having a smock was a sign of being a bit of a veteran, and the men made efforts to keep their even when they were tatty as it seperated them from the reenforcements who arrived without them.

Alistair

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X