Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Para Helmet

Hi
    can anyone help with dating this para helmet, afraid ive only got a picture of the liner but would like to know the period
    thanks in advance
    brian

Looks like a post war tanker helmet to me. Definitely not an airborne helmet.

Comment

I would agree with Des. Tankers or maybe a RN helmet.

cheers, Ade.

Comment

Para Helmet

cheers des

here is the picture of the outside, im not expert on helmets but this looks like a para
        cheers
        brian

Comment

British MkV

Sorry your helmet was not used by the paras. Looks like a British Mk V helmet used up unil the 1980's. Other countries also used this pattern. Cheers Roy

Comment

Helmet

many thanks for the help, what would be the use of this type of helmet?
            its on ebay at the moment and i was looking for a para lid but im no expert, and needed some help.
            thanks for the advice
            cheers
            brian

Comment

Brian the helmet was standard issue for British troops. There is also a Mk III a Mk IV and a Mk V. If you are looking for a British para helmet be prepared to pay upwards of US $500.00! Watch out as they are also faked. If you are unsure ask a couple of the guys on the Forum to help you out with a few guide lines before you part with your mony. There are also other posts on the Forum which cover British para helmets use the search button to find them. Good Luck Roy

Comment

Many thanks for the help and advice Roy
                all the very best
                brian

Comment

The simple chin strap is a bit of an obvious give away that you could not parachute with it on. It would not stay on your head as you hit the ground for starters!

Alan

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but another detail to look for is those outside rivets: a para helmet has larger rivets whose heads have a kind-of screw-driver notch in them. Helmets like the one above with a small rivet would be only for tankists or motorcyclists.

Regarding British tanker helmets being used until the '80s, here's a photo of one worn by Brig.-Gen. Amtzia Pazzi in 1973 http://www.farkash-gallery.com/p-133...-to-pazzi.aspx

Alex
                    Last edited by Historama; 06-22-2007, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Brian,

If I see a good airborne helmet on eBay I will send you a pm. A decent wartime example with web chin straps is not difficult to acquire.

Comment

As Des says your best bet would be e bay they turn up quite often some have been re painted post war, but their's usually a decent example.

Price wise, ******163;300 - ******163;400 will find you a nice original one.

Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X