Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firmin Badges

hi
    does anyone know of a website or any documentation where information can be found on firmin badges. problem is i have a badge which has no stamps and is apparently a firmin badge. the badge in question is a special air service badge made of black anodised metal.

surely there must be information somewhere regarding this badge
    appreciate any help
    cheers
    brian

Firmin is a UK firm still in existance and has been trading for 200 years plus. If the badge was a Firmin badge then it would have Firmin London stamped on the back. Nearly all British anodised aluminium badges have the maker stamp on the sliders except for the very early 1950's designs which can be found blank. The lugged badges (such as Scottish regts) do not often have makers' marks either.

Anodised SAS badges were worn by the Territorial SAS Regiments in the 1960-70s but have subsequently changed to cloth like the regulars.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
    Alan

Comment

Sas Badge

Cheers alan
      i have quite a few different types of sas badges, bi metal and various a/a badges stamped with the three makers - firmin-gaunt-london/bham-london badge and button co.
      this badge though is doing my head in. it dosent look fake, has a slider and yet its only the same size as an sas collar badge.
      what im thinking of now is a collar badge, i found an old colour photo from the 60's/70's of an sas officer wearing what looks like blackened sas collar badges.
      ive asked a few mates but they havent seen these before, surely there must be an answer out there somewhere.
      cheers
      brian
      Attached Files

Comment

Ex SAS GUY

managed to find the picture of the sas guy, not very clear but you can just about make out subdued collar badges
        cheers
        brian

Comment

Ex SAS GUY

Picture Attached
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jarraarra View Post
            Picture Attached
            Isn't he supposted to have a black rectangle across his eyes?

Comment

he wasnt issued one

Comment

More likely is that he is wearing the uniform of his old regiment before he joined the SAS so those are not SAS badges.

As Officers only serve for one tour before moving on they will retain their parent regts SD and not change the badges or buttons. I have seen several photos of SAS officers at Remembrance Day (note poppy in your photo) and they were in kilts and all sorts but with the SAS beret.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
                <o></o>
                Alan<o></o>

Comment

cheers alan
                  would you happen to know anything about this sas badge then, i cant seem to find any information at all, ive triend sending an email to firmin but they must receive emails all of the time, they just dont reply
                  thanks
                  brian

Comment

My own opinion is that it is an unofficial cap badge - either made for the TA in the 1970s, before they adopted the cloth badge, for wear on exercise or made for collectors. There were numerous museums, regimental outfitters and shops which stocked a/a cap badges directly from the official makers. There used to be a shop in Bulford Garrison run by an old chap which still had old a/a badges in stock right up to 2003 when he retired. He had boxes of Gaunt marked SAS badges, Scots Greys (pre 1968 era) and other old pattern infantry and corps badges that were long since out of production.

I would suspect that it could be a combination of both and originally made for private purchase by TA SAS and then carried on the production run to cater for the collectors market.

Alan<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Comment

thanks very much for the reply alan, youve certainly given me more insight into the badge, hopefully someone whos ex 21 can verify
                      cheers and all the best
                      brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X