did Brit Paras serve in desert ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did Brit Paras serve in desert ?

hi did any brit paras serve in north africa or italy or anywhere like that in ww2 ,or was it just france and holland and germany

thanks ..matt

Hi Matt, 1st Airborne Division served in North Africa and Italy, before going onto Arnhem and Norway.

2nd Indep. Para Brigade served in Italy and Southern France.

Very early post war, units from the 1st and 6th A/B Divs served in Palestine.

Parts of 6th A/B Div went to the Far East at the end of the war.

I am privillaged to know many Vets of these campaigns.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

thanks ade thats very helpful ...matt

Comment

Sand

Matt,
        I presume you might have been looking at this e-bay lid ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...7131&rd=1&rd=1

Gary J.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
          Hi Matt, 1st Airborne Division served in North Africa and Italy, before going onto Arnhem and Norway.

2nd Indep. Para Brigade served in Italy and Southern France.

Very early post war, units from the 1st and 6th A/B Divs served in Palestine.

Parts of 6th A/B Div went to the Far East at the end of the war.

I am privillaged to know many Vets of these campaigns.

Cheers, Ade.
          Did they not first earn their knickname of 'Red Devils' in North Africa?...from constantly being covered in the red dust of Tunisia?

This is my uncle Joe in Palestine early post war...
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice photo John, thanks for sharing it.

The story about the "Red Devils" nick name has many variations. You can take your pic from the other you mention, or the colour of the berets or the dangling ape tail on the Denison smock. What ever the true origin the name stuck

With regards to the E Bay lid; it looks OK. Post war use more than likely. I think the removed date is done for a reason

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Matt, I see you bought the lid

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

[

The nickname "Red Devils"came from the Germans.

During the North Africa campaign the Brigade had undertaken three airborne assaults,the first major airborne operations of the war by British parachutists,fought for five months as infantry.Taken part in more battles than any other formation in the 1st Army.These fighting exploits earned the 1st Parachute Brigade the name of 'The Red Devils'from their German opponents and accepted as a compliment.

Authority came via a signal from Major-General Browning dated January 15th 1943 to 'All Para Units'it read'General Alexander directs that 1 Para Brigade be info that (they)have been given the name by Germans of'Red Devils'.General Alexander congratulates the Brigade on achieving this high distinction.....'

from The Red Devils by G.G.Norton

John

Comment

Hi Matt, I might be able to help a little on your question both on this thread and on the one about camo para helmets, as far as paras in Palestine: I put together some photos for you here: http://www.historama.com/pictures3.html

The pictures are open-ended in that I can't identify the units myself, but perhaps the insignia you see will give you some direction. The scenes are of the daily grind in post-war Palestine - I couldn't find sharp quality or parade/drill pictures (yet) to contribute to the page (but you can click on the photos to see them in full size).

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
                    [

The nickname "Red Devils"came from the Germans.

During the North Africa campaign the Brigade had undertaken three airborne assaults,the first major airborne operations of the war by British parachutists,fought for five months as infantry.Taken part in more battles than any other formation in the 1st Army.These fighting exploits earned the 1st Parachute Brigade the name of 'The Red Devils'from their German opponents and accepted as a compliment.

Authority came via a signal from Major-General Browning dated January 15th 1943 to 'All Para Units'it read'General Alexander directs that 1 Para Brigade be info that (they)have been given the name by Germans of'Red Devils'.General Alexander congratulates the Brigade on achieving this high distinction.....'

from The Red Devils by G.G.Norton

John
                    Wasn't there an incident where some Italians were going to execute some British paras, and the Germans stepped in and stopped it?

I have read it somewhere, can't recall which book though. I believe they were Fallschirmjager.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

A good book to read on the matter is " WINGS OF THE WIND by Peter Stainforth BCA 1985!
                      Has detailed info on the actions by the Para's during the Tunis drop and Sicily.
                      Also the book written by John Frost " A drop to many" is well worth reading.

Cain

Comment

great pics alex thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X