Another Allied set , BOP from Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Allied set , BOP from Canada.

You will have to forgive the photographs - I am trying to get to rips with a new camera and "Rome was not built in a day" , in shorrt 2there is something that I am not doing"

This set I tried to photograph before and it may be the camera , it may be me ( aand it probably is) or it may be nature of the subject.
    ( How's that for a range of excuses . )

A limited build naval binocular by the Canadian Company , BOP which existed " for hostilities only" then it folded.
    Similar to the REL 7x50 in shape but much heavier - we are talking something which approaches the fat 8x60 in weight .
    Internal filter syetem three coloiurs "Yellow" , "Grey" and "Dark", 7x50 , with coated lens.
    To date I have only seen three of these.
    Attached Files

Bop

Another of the BOP 7x50.
    Has anyone else come across this set / this type ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Bop

Another view.
      Optically they are not bad , on parr with REL / B&L sets, but the weight - you know you have had them around your neck and in your hand.
      Attached Files

Comment

7X50 REL, carousel filter assembly on top, marked BOP.
        As part of a post-war (circa 1955) Canadian Army standardisation programme for all manufacturers and makes/marks of No. 2 binoculars, Beaconing Optical & Precision Materials of Ganby, QC (BOP) was approached to modify three (3) binoculars, Prismatic, No 2 Mk 2, manufactured by Universal Camera (USA).
        These were serial numbers 11510, 14451 and 12721. The modifiations included work on; Axles, Hinges, Prism mounting plate, and; Fixing (cementing) the Prism. My documents show that the work was done for a cost of $280.00 "however the price for a quantity job will be considerably reduced". This implies that a wide-ranging programme was contemplated. My copy of the original drawing clearly shows the BOP/Canada truncated oval logo.
        Once these changes were accepted by DND a program was put into effect to alter a substantial number of the REL 7x50 binoculars still held in stock.
        Last edited by Gesetz; 05-21-2007, 10:14 AM. Reason: Added last paragrapph for clarity

Comment

Sorry, the above was me. My system logged me in under my son's user name. He normally trolls through the Whermacht stuff.
          Clive

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X