Naval lifebelt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval lifebelt question

Does anyone have photos they could share of the Naval (blue) lifebelts as used by the Commando units of WW2?
    Best,
    Greg

I think this is what you are looking for

PAUL
    Attached Files

Comment

That's the U.S. Navy issue, I believe this gent wants info on the British Royal Navy version which is surprisingly rare in the collectors market, took me a good few years to find one. Unfortunately mine is with a friend about 200 miles away at the moment but from what I can remember it was an orange rubber bladder with a Dark-Navy blue cloth covering, similar cloth covering on the inflation tube and a little pocket which I think was for some sort of light or whistle, and if memory serves was removable, it's been about 18 months since I last saw it. Seem recall seeing the same version with an off-white or light tan cloth covering. The type was extensively used by R.N. and Army troops (early in the war until the simpler/cheaper 'Army' version came along, which btw I could provide plenty of info on as I still have mine to hand) for Amphibious Ops., seen a lot in use on early Commando raids etc.

Comment

Here is a pic of Canadians at D DAY
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear with my request, I'm looking for the British Royal Navy life-belt (Jonny P was correct) If anyone could share some close up photos it would be great. It's very hard to find any info on these things
          Best,
          Greg

Comment

okay one more try this should fit the bill
            Attached Files

Comment

Paul, thanks for trying to help me out but that's the type life-vest worn by the Brit Paras... I need the one used by the Brit Commando's. These life-belts were a tube type design covered in a navy/blue cloth.
              Best,
              Greg
              Last edited by GregB; 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Comment

I know the one you mean. I think I have a photo of a Belgian para wearing one.
                  Give me a few days to check. If I find it I will scan and post it.

Comment

Greg, I have a picture from one from a friend's collection. Not properly focussed so I'm not going to post it here but if you PM your e-mail address I can send it to you.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

PM sent!
                      Thanks,
                      Greg

Comment

lets beat a dead horse here is a Canadian Navy one
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by paulbear View Post
                          lets beat a dead horse here is a Canadian Navy one
                          markings
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X