Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Canadian Sapper

Hello

I was just wondering if someone in the collecting community might have pictures of what a Sapper from a Canadian WW1 railway troop would look like.
    I am interested in the type of equipment they would have and tools they would carry. I know about the metal cap and collar tab they had but would they have special patches or markings on there uniforms. Thank you for your time

Thank you
    Kevin R.

Kevin,

Aside from the 2 dozen or so different cap badges, usually with collar badges/shoulder titles associated with Canadian railway troops in WWI, I can't remember seeing any specific insignia. Most of the trade badges used by Commonwealth armies were developed after WWI.

One of my great-grandfathers was a Sgt in the CRT, I will see if there are any photos of him around in uniform, though I don't remember seeing any.

As for the tools etc. I would suspect their individual kit would be fairly standardized with tools etc depending on the jobs being undertaken.

Have you tried the National Archives and other online photo archive sources? You might have some luck there.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

The CRT did have some battle patches but where not widely worn . I suspect they worn the patches of the umbrella group being the CE as a rule after 1916
      along with thier unit badges

Paul

Comment

Hello

Thank you for the information, I will check it out the National Archives.
        Adam I hope you can find picture of your great-grandfather. My great-uncle was with the 10th Canadian railway troop. All I have for pictures is his studio photo. I have asked family members to see if anyone might have any pictures but nothing yet. I want to make up a uniform set of what he would have look like when he was at Ypres. I know he had a good conduct chevron and wound stripe. I have all his papers, medals, dog tags, his badges and some equipment.

Thank you
        Kevin R.

Comment

The tenth RR started as the 256th battn and their badge morphed into a similar looking 10th CRT one SO IF YOU HAVE ANY BADGES TO THE 256TH IN THE BOX they are his also

PAUL

Comment

The CRT formation patch was a white square overlaid on a larger red square.
            It was initially worn on the upper back of the tunic, similar to many British formation patches.
            Shortly thereafter, these patches were worn on the upper sleeves conforming to other CEF units.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello

I had an opportunity to get the 256th cap and collar tabs at a military show and I told the vendor I was just going to take a quick look at the other tables and I would be back. By the time I got back they were gone. I should not have set them back down. Have you seen the 10th Crt mounted on the maple leaf? I like the look of that one also. Thank you Roy for the information about the formation patches I will have to keep a look out for them.

Thank you
              Kevin R.

Comment

I don't have any uniform pics here of my great-grandfather. I'll see if any turn up after asking some relatives.

I think you will find that the cloth insignia above was rarely used. I can't remember seeing many, if any photos of it in use. So, you are probably just as well to stick to the cap and collar badges as far as insignia.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyA View Post
                  The CRT formation patch was a white square overlaid on a larger red square.
                  It was initially worn on the upper back of the tunic, similar to many British formation patches.
                  Shortly thereafter, these patches were worn on the upper sleeves conforming to other CEF units.
                  The Railway patch was worn exclusively on the back, immediately below the collar. Although, when in print, it looks like a white square on a red square it is actually a red hollow square (made up of four strips to form the box) and the centre would be the uniorm showing through. This patch was taken into wear in late 1917, however I cannot put my hands on my archives files at the moment.

Comment

Sorry, the above was me. My system logged me in under my son's user name. He normally trolls through the Whermacht stuff.
                    Clive

Comment

Hello

Thank you for the information. Would it be a large square the size of a mans back so it can be seen from a distance or a small 6 inches X 6 inches? I was just wondering as I was looking at the book Khaki uniforms of the Canadian CEF and they have a picture of a trench raider. He has what looks like a 2 inches by the length of is arm, a red sleeve strip. I didn't know if it was more a marker identifying them from the Germans, to keep from friendly fire or just a CRT patch?

Thank you
                      Kevin R.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X