GeneralAssaultMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancashire Fusiliers: Correct shoulder title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lancashire Fusiliers: Correct shoulder title?

Hello chums,

I'm forming a new WW.1 British reenactment group here in California: 2nd Battalion - The Lancashire Fusiliers. One of the uniform items that I'm trying and want to get correct is the brass shoulder title.

Could anyone tell me what the correct shoulder title would have been please? If you have the dimentions and/or a pic, I would be most gratefull.

Thank you in advance,

Seph

The small grenade as worn by fusilier regiments, RA, RE & Grenadier Guards as rank, "trade badge", collar dog or shoulder device, depending on the unit - worn seperately over a one-piece "LF" replaced a one piece "L"-grenade with sphinx & laurel wreath on ball - "F" title about WWI I think.

Comment

Thanks Leigh... thats a good starting point.

Seph

Comment

there is a LF museum in , i believe bury, that is the name of the place btw , bury. in greater manchester in england, try googling it, they will know, or if that fails the national army museum are helpful.

Comment

To quote Westlake's book... LF worn with a seperate greanade above until 1916 when it changed to a one piece LgrenadeF, the ball of the grenade carrying the sphinx within a laurel surround. All brass for OR's, bi-metal (nickel sphinx & laurel) or silver and gilt for officers. They were worn in pairs with the sphinx facing forward (although I can't get one with it facing right as viewed, all those which turn up face left !!).

Keith

Comment

Thanks for the information chaps, reallty apreciate it.

Steve H...

I've spent many a happy hour in both the Imperial War and National Army Museums... happy memories eh!

I've got the old address of the 'LF' museum, so I hope my letter reaches there before the planned move. if not, I wonder if the Royal Mail will kindly re-direct?

Kieth..

I've been given info on two types of the shoulder titles used during WW.1, both of which you mention. One of my friends here loaned me his copy of Westlakes book about collecting brass shoulder titles..... its a superb book on the subject. I'm about 90% certain now that the separate 'LF' & Flaming Bomb is the correct one to use. My final confimation will be when I receive from the 'LF' museum.

As useual, the Forum has come up trumps. Thanks chaps.

Seph

Comment

Originally posted by findabetterole View Post
              Thanks for the information chaps, reallty

I've been given info on two types of the shoulder titles used during WW.1, both of which you mention. One of my friends here loaned me his copy of Westlakes book about collecting brass shoulder titles..... its a superb book on the subject. I'm about 90% certain now that the separate 'LF' & Flaming Bomb is the correct one to use. My final confimation will be when I receive from the 'LF' museum.

As useual, the Forum has come up trumps. Thanks chaps.
              It really is a fabulous book. There's some much information in independent of shoulder titles ie: Volunteer Btns and their previous history as RVC's. I hope one day it's updated.

Keith

Comment

Lancs Fusiliers S/T

Heres a phot of the Lancs Fusiliers S/T from 1916 onwards Seph,I don't have a pre 1916 in my collection but it would have looked similar to the Royal Fusiliers S/T pictured.All the best,

Paul
                Attached Files

Comment

Lancs Fusiliers S/T

Royal Fusiliers.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X