Is this a British medal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a British medal?

What is this, is it original and what might it be worth?

Thanks,
    Ron

Hi Ron, it is an OBE. Some info can be seen here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_o...British_Empire

I will let the medal collectors comment further.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi the medal is OBE KNIGHT COMMANDER and is for the CIVIL DIVISION. Issued in the reign of geo v. Has bad enamel damage which severally lowers the value
      from the 350. sterling listed in the spinks book

PAUL

Comment

I was always under the impression that the central stripe indicated Military Division.

What on earth is an OBE Knight Commander? You're either an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) or a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE).

The ranks are:-

Knight or Dame Grand Cross (GBE)
        Knight Commander or Dame Commander (KBE)
        Commander (CBE)
        Officer (OBE)
        Member (MBE)

Associated is also the British Empire Medal (BEM) no longer issued except on a couple of small outpost islands. Also known as the Barracks Endurance Medal.

The MBE is silver, the OBE gold in finish and the CBE enamelled. The CBE is worn suspended from the neck.

It's full title is "The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire"
        Last edited by Jim Maclean; 05-12-2007, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Here's mine that belongs to Major B G Foreman C Int C

Acording to http://www.medals.org.uk/united-king...om-ribbons.htm as previously stated in a not so elegant way, the civvie medal is stripless.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Laurence Strong; 05-12-2007, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean View Post
            I was always under the impression that the central stripe indicated Military Division.

What on earth is an OBE Knight Commander? You're either an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) or a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE).

The ranks are:-

Knight or Dame Grand Cross (GBE)
            Knight Commander or Dame Commander (KBE)
            Commander (CBE)
            Officer (OBE)
            Member (MBE)

Associated is also the British Empire Medal (BEM) no longer issued except on a couple of small outpost islands. Also known as the Barracks Endurance Medal.

The MBE is silver, the OBE gold in finish and the CBE enamelled. The CBE is worn suspended from the neck.

It's full title is "The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire"
            I was looking at a 1st type medal in the book how dum I guess you sorted me out

Comment

It's a pre-'36 Commander's (CBE) breast badge with a post-'36 Military Division ribbon. I'd get it repaired by a good enameler. I understand the early CBEs were worn on the breast rather than around the neck (which came slightly later) which explains the breast-style suspender.

Comment

I've done some checking, as Orders aren't really my thing. This would seem to be a ladies pattern CBE, which are worn on the shoulder from a bow arrangement - hence the O/MBE style suspension ring. Gent's CBEs are worn around the neck and the suspension is slightly different to accommodate this.

Comment

Tony is spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Shame about the enamel damage as these are rather attractive awards. I don't know that anyone would be able to match the shade if you had it repaire. Thus, your choices are probably to have the rest of the enamel removed, and then repair it from "scratch," or just leave it be.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam J. Haslett View Post
                    Tony is spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Shame about the enamel damage as these are rather attractive awards. I don't know that anyone would be able to match the shade if you had it repaire. Thus, your choices are probably to have the rest of the enamel removed, and then repair it from "scratch," or just leave it be.
                    Thanks Adam...........I think I will opt to leave it be. If I had it "repaired" it would just be a "monkeyed" with piece.....at least this was it is original still.

Ron

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X