Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer identification help

Hello,

can someone identify this officer who was taken in north africa in 1941? A lot of indian soldiers were taken prisoner with him.

I would appreciate your help.

Best,

akira
    Attached Files

I can't personally see anything in the photograph that identifies him as an officer, even then you'd have your work cut out. His headgear is the other ranks version of the Service Dress peaked cap, eyeshields and loose chinstrap suggest Motorcyclist or Desptach rider, perhaps Military Police (though can't make out any sort of cap cover). He's wearing the standard KD shirt and V neck sweater, no obvious rank/unit insignia and a vague location that could mean he could be any one of thousands of men only ever know to their friends and family. Sorry I can't be of more help, but unless you have exact locations/date, unit or individual details/some sort of family connection then much of the history attached to this image may be gone forever. Good luck though.

Comment

Aren't they the British anti-gas goggles made famous by being worn by Rommel?

Comment

Yes, originally they were intended just for that purpose, as Gas protection. Eventually their use as dust goggles was realised and accepted, issue packets being altered accordingly. The issue of actual goggles in the British Army was always very specific and quite limited, Vehicle drivers and often the rest of the crew would get them but often not passengers in troop transport, even in places when they would have been decidedly useful. The other annoying thing here is that their presence blocks the view of any sort of cap-badge that might be there, though I do get the feeling one isn't being worn.

Comment

Thank you very much, Jonny. I appreciate your help - pity that I have no knowledge about british uniforms, I'll learn bit by bit.

This photo was most probably taken in Mechili, just after the Rommel's victory in April 1941.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X