MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1944 dated binoculars, Maker help needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1944 dated binoculars, Maker help needed please!

Hello,

Just back in from the car boot sale, where I picked up a pair of British 1944 dated prismatic binoculars in their case.

The view through them is crystal clear,not bad for 63 years old!

Markings on the left side are, O.S. 656 M.A.
    REGD No 87697
    BINO.PRISM No5
    MK VA
    X7

Markings on the right are, INL
    1944, then a red W or M

The case top is marked, B.H. & G. LTD
    OS/997
    BINOCULAR PRISMATIC No 5
    CASE MK 1

Does anyone out there know anything about binoculars and can help with identifying the maker and give me some info on who used them please?

Also an idea on value would be appreciated please,to see if I actually got a bargain!

Kind regards,
    Andy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AndyD; 05-06-2007, 10:56 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Case top.
        Attached Files

Comment

Case 2.
          Attached Files

Comment

Case 3.
            Attached Files

Comment

No 5 I-V were used since 1935 up to 80's. They are based on 1930 civilian model Ross Stepnite.

Comment

I do believe the red paint W mean water proofed for re issue Korea and later
                often see this on the re done Mk4 T snipers

Paul

Comment

I think all were waterprofed as they were filled by dry air to prevent fogg and mould inside.

Comment

Ross.

They look like a set of Ross 7x50 , the red screws do allow for the set to be purged of moisture to prevent fogging and mould growing.
                    In think the "NL" refers to the national physics lab. who would have done quality control .

They look to be in quite good order , cleaned they are a comfortable and quite good set to use.

You see a lot of them which have been reconditioned and painted green for sale IMO sets so painted look awful.

If the money was good I say not a bad buy.
                    Collectors always seem to be after German optics but some of the British stuff was not bad - quality of build and glass did vary but they should not be written off as "junk".

Attached some info from Dr Seegers "grey Book" on the set.
                    Dr Seeger notes.
                    "this model was widely manufactured in many different versions , first being introduced for Anti-Aircraft and Coastal Artillery in 1935 ( Reid 1981/84). Aluminum construction with black textured finish. dry air ports with red painted sealing screws to allwo de misting when required. ( achieved in more modern types by charging with an inert gas or fitting desiccant capsules)
                    At this stage the optics were still uncoated. Developed from the civilian "Stepnite" model and certainly one of the best British boinoculars in use at the end of WW2."
                    "Note a number of this model also carry a "W" in red , indicating a waterproof model, added after a special test".
                    The Stepnite is shown on the lower right , a very rare set .

Are the lens coated ?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by behblc; 05-07-2007, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X