Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Revolution - British Cap Badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Revolution - British Cap Badge?

Hello. I got this badge off of ebay and it was found in Williamburg, Virginia. I was wondering. Could this badge be from the American Revolution or did someone use it in the American Civil War? Maybe from a British observer? Any comments are welcome.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/96/b2/fe6d_1.JPG

It is a British badge dating from the First World War.

These were worn by men who worked for war industries back home in Britain. These type of badges were produced to show that they were engaged on war work and to prevent them being given "white feathers" by patriotic young ladies.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

ah didn't know of the "white feather brigade"
      so the badge prevented the embaressment of getting one it seems.,

In August 1914, Admiral Charles Fitzgerald founded the Order of the White Feather. With the support of leading writers such as Mary Ward and Emma Orczy, the organisation encouraged women to give out white feathers to young men who had not joined the British Army. One young woman remembers her father, Robert Smith, being given a feather on his way home from work: "That night he came home and cried his heart out. My father was no coward, but had been reluctant to leave his family. He was thirty-four and my mother, who had two young children, had been suffering from a serious illness. Soon after this incident my father joined the army."
      The government became concerned when women began presenting state employees with white feathers. It was suggested to Reginald McKenna, the Home Secretary, that these women should be arrested for "conduct likely to disrupt the police".

Comment

Hi,

The badge is from WW.1, and would have been worn by an individual who was in a job that was to important for him to enlist. The Shield is the cap badge of the 'R.A.O.C' = Royal Army Ordnance Corps.

Seph

Comment

Well, how did it in on a civil war battlefield? and it does have three cannons on it.

Comment

The badge includes three cannon balls over three cannons. This dates from our (English) Civil War, when the then Ordnace Department supplied the wrong (incorrect calibre) cannon balls to the Artillery. Although a disgrace, this incident has been taken on as a distinct badge.

As to how it got onto an American Civil War battlefield.... you drop things from time to time that you don't know about don't you? Are you saying that since the American Civil War, NOT ONE PERSON HAS WALKED THAT BATTLEFIELD.. except yourself? The circomastances of its arrival can only be surmised, but I don't think it was via a 'Time-Machine'! At some point in time from WW.1 to 2007, the fact is.. it got there.

Seph
            Last edited by findabetterole; 05-05-2007, 01:37 AM.

Comment

"Well, how did it in on a civil war battlefield? and it does have three cannons on it."

Ther is also the very highly remote possibility that the ebay seller may have..... lied? But I dont think so, I have never heard of anyone being dishonnest on ebay.

JL

Comment

Good one, Jean-Loup.

Comment

Jean-Loup, I should have made myself clear. When I said any comments are weclome. I should had said any helpfull comments, not sarcastic comments . I know all about the dishonnest ones on ebay. I maybe a young collector but does not mean I am stupid. Everyone else , Thanks for the help.
                  Last edited by Finnishlion178; 05-05-2007, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Finnishlion,

The others are correct in their comments on the origin of the badge.

However, don't be discouraged by the sarcastic comments. Some collectors likely have nothing else positive in their lives and need to feel important by lording things over on less-experienced collectors. Many of these same people could do with brushing up their english grammar and spelling skills, or at least learning to spell-check their posts . But at least they are "experts," right?

I think there are 2 good lessons here. #1 Don't hesitate to post queries on here before buying on ebay (and elsewhere) #2 Consider the source of the comments you receive on your threads. Not all voices are equal.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Oh, and as an aside... The "legend" or "rumour" that the Ordnance Arms, depicting the cannon and oversized cannon balls, stems from the AOC/RAOC supplying inncorrect ammuniton to the artillery, bears no historical proof and there is no factual instance in history that suggests this is the case. It is largely accepted that this is yet another myth that no serious historian considers factual.

The legend found its origins in the Crimean war period, however, the insignia is considerably older. Albeit, not of English Civil War period as some would have us believe.

Nice imaginations though. Very amusing indeed.

Comment

Finnishlion..

You'll find an example of the very badge you have on ebay: 330114809369.

Also... what on earth would a Canadian know about British military history, when they sopposedly disconnect themselves from Great Britains Valour awards, yet slightly alter our highest award for Valour and call it a Canadian Victoria Cross! Then again.. being FRENCH ... they do seem to have a vast identity crisis. Oh well.. some things will never change

Happy collecting.

Seph

Comment

Originally posted by findabetterole View Post
                          Finnishlion..

You'll find an example of the very badge you have on ebay: 330114809369.

Also... what on earth would a Canadian know about British military history, when they sopposedly disconnect themselves from Great Britains Valour awards, yet slightly alter our highest award for Valour and call it a Canadian Victoria Cross! Then again.. being FRENCH ... they do seem to have a vast identity crisis. Oh well.. some things will never change

Happy collecting.

Seph
                          actuly mate he knows quiet alot!

Comment

Now lets keep it civil lads. No need to get personal.

Comment

Originally posted by Des Thomas View Post
                              Now lets keep it civil lads. No need to get personal.
                              Des thanks for that reply. I am a Canadian, I know my history fairly well. I can not spell worth a darn... and I AM NOT FRENCH.

As many have said, these badges are WWI era badges, how they came to be found on an American Civil War Battlefield is anyone's guess.

Interesting comments about the oversized cannon balls on the badge. I have looked into that myth but admit that I didn't spend much time on it as other things take up most of my research time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X