Boer War Queen's medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boer War Queen's medal

Just picke this up at an auction. It is named to 4913 PTE J.E. HIGGINS, MANCHESTER REGT. Not a United Kingdom medal person, can anyone give me any ideas?

Thanks

Patrick
    Attached Files

The reverse. I had read somewhere that the older medals are the ones with the ghost of the dates under the wreath?

Bars are Belfast, Laing's Nek, Defense of Ladysmith and Orange Free state
    Attached Files

Comment

nice early issue medal with some nice bars

PAUL

Comment

Correct early issue's have the "Ghost Dates" it was first thought the Boer War would'nt last very long so the medals were to have these dates on the reverse, the Boer War raged until 1902...... hence why they tried to remove them.

It's missing the KSA, also the chap might have served during ww1 certinaly an old contemptible.

Hope this helps
        Scott

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, it does help. But was is the KSA?

Over the years I have picked up another Queen's south african medal and one of the kings south african medals, but never really spent any real effort in studing them. I think that may end.

Thanks again.

Patrick

Comment

KSA, just allot easier than writing kings south africa medal. the medal you have is often reffered to as the QSA. These are realy nice medals, i love yours, some realy nice bars and i love the tarnish to it.

Comment

That is a great medal-really good campaign bars. I have a soft heart for the Defense of Ladysmith and "nek" bars myself-hard fought battles.
              Nice!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Patrick

Comment

I got these about 10 years ago in a box of scrap silver. The ribbons are replacements. The Queen's medal is to a Pvt Leitch of A&S Hichers (I assume Argyll and Southerland Highlanders?) and the King's medal is to pvt Stevens of Oxford LI (light infantry?).

Looking at the queen's medal I can just barely, in the right light, with some wine, see the ghost dates.

That pretty much taps me out on British/UK medals except for a few memorial crosses.

Patrick
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X