WW1 Canteen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Canteen?

I picked this up locally last weekend. I know it's British, most likely WW1. Am I right? Probably pretty common but I liked it. Any other details? What do these go for these days? Also what is that other small set of straps on the front for? This one seems pretty complete. Thanks, Steve
    Attached Files

Another angle.
    Attached Files

Comment

After I picked it up at an antique store, I headed to the gym for a workout and brought it in to show my buddies. They dared me to drink from it during the workout. I took one swig just to say I did it. Refreshing!
      Attached Files

Comment

Actually, the water bottle is in a WW2 pattern 1937 carrier. The bottle itself with the felt cover was used in both WW1 and WW2 but yours is most likely from WW2 because of the carrier that it is in. And yes, they are very common. Value on these can really vary alot depending on the seller, but I am still able to find nice ones in the $15 - $25 Cdn range although I have seen sellers asking much more.

Comment

Steve,
          Your bottle is a mark 7 bottle that was introduced into the List of Changes in November 1939.
          This info is included in our book 'New Zealand Army Personal Equipment 1910-1945' ISBN 0-9582535-9-5. If you google it you should be able to find it.
          BArry

Comment

Thanks guys. Really thought it was earlier because of the cork top.

Comment

Originally posted by nbroadarrowz View Post
              Your bottle is a mark 7 bottle that was introduced into the List of Changes in November 1939.BArry
              Hi Barry

Could you write more about changes it the bottles? Changes were only in NZ or in British too? What are differences between marks?

Regarding NZ bottles - rubber stopper was used only in NZ bottles, or other countries produced rubber stoppers too?

I had similar bottle as shown by Steve, the felt cover was much thicker compare to normal khaki or grey one.

Comment

Mietek,
                If you would like to know more about NZ water bottles and equipment I suggest you buy a copy of our book 'New Zealand Army Personal Equipment 1910-1945' which is avaiable at www.willsonscott.biz. The exchange rate is in your favour at present so it would make a good buy.

There is a very good and comprenshive 6 part article in the Armour magazine written by RJ Dennis and J Bodsworth. These articles were done in 2006 and are titled British & Empire Waterbottles 1750-2005 and cover water bottles and thier carriers. A simple google should find the publishers and they may have back issuies for sale.
                After our book and these articles were published and absorbed it is amasing how may collectors found they didn't have any WW1 water bottles in their collections (NZ).

I believe that the rubber stopper is a NZ variation. Although the covers on waterbottles do vary officially I believe there are a number of manufacture variations in the fabric used.

I hope this helps.
                Barry

Comment

Re Water Bottle

Hi Steve,

Just to Confuse things for you, have a look at this web page,

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-equip/web-1908.htm

It is an Australian Site but shows the 'British' Pattern which covers All, and having a look at your Bottle, and having sold a few over time, it could be from a lot of 'Commonwealth' Countries because the CORK was all the Aussie ones had (WW1 and WW2).

if You go a bit further on above Site it will show the BOTTLE in WW2 Webbing as well.

Cheers,
                  Daveinoz.

Comment

Thanks, that explains those 2 smaller straps in the middle. Interesting site.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X