Todays British Army badge pickup........From the hand of Lord Derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays British Army badge pickup........From the hand of Lord Derby

I bought this badge today, it wasnt cheap but what I liked about it was the fact the lugs are in tact.............its very hard to find an example that hasnt been broached, or so I have noticed.

Remember, this cap badge, isnt just a cap badge, its an award for a pre October 1914 volunteer and Lord Derby didnt give everyone one.

Heres the badge I couldnt leave the shop with out .............

Steve.

Nice & cheap I hope?

This link's to a few examples of Liverpool Pals badges, including my own lone & undetermined example.

Comment

Nice & cheap I hope?
      My Summer holiday money is now gone. I wish I could say I bought this for a fiver but sadly these days most people know what hallmarks are.

There was an example on eBay in November last year that had flash on the eagles head, had also been broached it made ******163;161.........and most of the heavy hitters didnt bid because they were put off by the flash. Other forums were calling that badge repro.

I just found the thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...liverpool+pals

Steve.
      Last edited by yellow; 04-28-2007, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Oooops did my usual, copied the link & then forgot to post it........

Still don't know if my badge is silver or OSD or whatever, I should really make the effort to find out.

Whatever it is, it's got copper loops & not silver or brass.

Comment

Hi Jack,

I have noticed from your badge that the crazing to the reverse is almost identical to my own........produced from the same die.

What I would like to know is if you have had your badge repaired? I see there are file marks around the top lug also there appears to be a brooch mark just under the hallmark. Heats marks are also present on the lower lug and the lugs themselves are lacking the jewelers detail (the two lines which run around the outside).

In the other thread above you mention the Chester Hallmark. I have seen one of these badges and another collector called the Chester Hallmarked example a sweet hearts brooch. Can you please tell me where that information came from?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Comment

Has anyone got the sales results for the 11 December Bosleys Sale? Both the Chester and London Hallmarked badges are listed there.

Bosleys.......sold an example in Jan of this year in their postal auction for 95. cannot really comment on that since I havent seen a photo of the badge. I wish I had seen that catalogue someone pulled an Imperial Camel Corps badge for only 67!

Steve.
            Last edited by yellow; 04-28-2007, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Did anyone notice the L'pool Pals badge on ebay last night? It sold for £91 was silver with a Birmingham hallmark according to the listing and was a sweetheart measuring approx 1" x 1". It was also brooched. How do the dimensions compare to the ones above? Interestingly none of the big dealers made a move, only the re-sale merchants. Nice badges pictured.

Keith

Comment

A genuine example should be about 1.5 x 1.5.

Keith, can you post a link to the ebay listing. I did look last night on .co.uk but couldnt find anything searching for "Liverpool Pals".

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                  A genuine example should be about 1.5 x 1.5.

Keith, can you post a link to the ebay listing. I did look last night on .co.uk but couldnt find anything searching for "Liverpool Pals".

Steve.
                  Steve,

Sorry I never kept a watch on it and from memory it wasn't won by someone I recognise although there were some regular names bidding.

Keith

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X