Nice belt but......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Laurence and Adrian .
    Another thing i would like to know is how this one came to my town but surely impossible .
    Cheers,
    Martin.

Comment

They were also put together by non military men as well. Sort of like sweetheart pins of WWII.

My guess in how it came to France Would be

A local mademoiselle who had a milk run along part of the front and acquired the badges and buttons as souvenirs.

Another I have seen was one girl who collected badges from all the units that were billeted on her Father's estate.

Oh course this is just talk on my part too bad the badges can't talk.

You might be able to link up dates/units with the area where the belt was found. Assuming of course the owner did not sell it, moved away etc.

Where in france did you find it?

Comment

Yes your version is possible....
        My town is very far from the WWI front (500 km)
        Perhaps a gift from an English soldier to a French 'soldier.

Comment

I would point out that the one rare one is the leinster regiment which is worth ******163;30 on its own. The rest are common infantry regiments worth ******163;5 each except for the Kings Regt (pre 1920 pattern) and the Norfolk regt which is the pre 1937 pattern and worth about ******163;8 each.

'Hate belt' is a relatively recent term (created by dealers to make them more appealing). They are souvenirs of the owners sevice.

A nice belt in all.

Alan
          Last edited by max7474; 04-26-2007, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Why the name "hate belt"?

Comment

Steptoe and son

Does anybody remember Harry H. Corbett wearing one of these belts in Steptoe and Son !

Gary J.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                Why the name "hate belt"?

Although nice these have been pretty thick on the ground for years and not brilliant sellers. I suspect this is a effort to make them sound sexier.

I've seen lots of these made from horse tack too. I once bought a full cavalry rig with over 100 badges on it for thirty quid, would like that one back again.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X