demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A simple little medal. (An ANZAC tribute)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple little medal. (An ANZAC tribute)

It’s ANZAC day today,25th April (a day a bit like NZ’s and Australia’s memorial day/Nov 11) so first off I want to say a quick but heartfelt thank you to all the past and present service people out there.

Second I thought it might be nice to show my latest purchase. Even though there are millions of BWM out there this little BWM is my most precious kiwi medal.

I come from a little place (approx 17000 population) in NZ just outside of Wellington (the capital) called Wainuiomata. It’s a nice little place, fairly secluded, very working class but with a great community spirit and it’s a place I really like living in. During the First World War Wainui was a little rural village (pop less than 200 people) but like a lot of little communities through out NZ (and the rest of the world) the war touched here in quite a big way. Of the Wainui boys that went off to fight five never returned, and three of those were brothers. This little BWM was issued to the next of kin of one of those brothers.

I never thought I would ever own a medal that was issued to a chap from my hometown let alone one that was issued to a chap that was killed in action. It is very special to me and I will do my best to look after it while it is in my care. I have just started to do a little research on William and his family but this will be and on going mission.

William Burrow
    Serial number: 11217
    Killed in action: 29 September 1916
    Memorial: Caterpillar Valley Cemetery (New Zealand) memorial, Longueval, Somme, France
    Two brothers also killed: Robert Burrow (17/12/1917) and Jack Burrow (died of disease 07/11/1918 so close to the end)

Cheers
    Chris

We will remember them.

Last edited by ChrisB; 04-24-2007, 05:16 PM.

Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to see medals with a good home and caretaker. Very easy to see why you would hold this medal so dear.

Your posting is a fitting tribute to your town and its veterans, well done.

Best wishes on this ANZAC day to you and all our other Kiwi and Aussie members.

Adam

Comment

Thanks very much for your kind words Adam.
      <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
      Cheers
      Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X