Good Glengarry Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Glengarry Article

Peter Suciu wrote a very good article on Glengarry caps for Military Trader. I have posted it (with the original color images that I couldn't print in the magazine):

http://www.militarytrader.com/Defaul...1#5651Articles

Hope this is useful for collectors

Best Regards,
    John Adams-Graf
    Editor, Military Trader
    john.adams-graf@fwpubs.com

Hi John, welcome to the forum Thanks for posting Peter's article.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Nice. Interesting article. I love the Victorian Black Watch Glen. Not sure I am sold on the other one, mind you.

He would have done well to show a few more examples and to compare construction techniques to help generally ID vintage (not always an easy thing with glengarrys, especialy in the absence of a badge).

Comment

That BW glengarry is the one that featured n a thread here & on GMIC isn't it?

Minor correction to the descrption - the crown on the badge is described as St Edwards, which is the description collectors usually use to describe the QEII period crown, & on the next glengarry featured - would the hackle ever be worn with the badge?

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen View Post
          That BW glengarry is the one that featured n a thread here & on GMIC isn't it?

Minor correction to the descrption - the crown on the badge is described as St Edwards, which is the description collectors usually use to describe the QEII period crown, & on the next glengarry featured - would the hackle ever be worn with the badge?
          To my knowledge, talking to the regimental Historian of the BW last month, They don't wore the Hackle with badge on the Glengarry but was used by one Volunteer Unit on the TOS were they normally had the Hackle only. One example is shown at the Scottish War Museum in Edinburgh.
          Maybe I'm allowed to take a pic next month, when I'm at the castle with the Guy's of the Royal Scots.
          Nico

Comment

I think the only time the badge and the hackle were worn in conjunction was on the feather bonnet. I'm not keen on the first glengarry as being A&SH, it's a dicing thing.

It's not even a particularly 'traditional' Scottish headdress, it was worn by more English regiments, just the Jocks seemed to perpetuate it.

Interesting article but could with a bit more work have been really informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean View Post
              I think the only time the badge and the hackle were worn in conjunction was on the feather bonnet. I'm not keen on the first glengarry as being A&SH, it's a dicing thing.

It's not even a particularly 'traditional' Scottish headdress, it was worn by more English regiments, just the Jocks seemed to perpetuate it.

Interesting article but could with a bit more work have been really informative.

I did'nt look at the first glengarry, I was too busy lusting after the second one - BW one.
              Yep, the dicing - A&SH wore the central dicing strip in green & white rather than red & white (the reference to black & white dicing is a typo, I think black & white was worn by the Lovat Scouts & / or the Athol Highlanders?).

A handy little article.

Comment

Well I didn't want to come out and say it as such, but the BW Glen with badge and hackle is wrong. Certainly a made up piece.

I have seen photos of the glengarry badge being worn on the balmoral/TOS and seen both on the balmoral as well, both technically incorrect but encountered in the odd period photo.

I agree...a bit more digging and research was needed to make this an authoritative article. One wonders if Scottish/Highland collectors were consulted in its creation?

Comment

Good feedback

Thank you all for taking a look at the article and your great comments! I want to encourage anyone who is working on any articles or just some good details, to consider submitting them to Military Trader for inclusion. The whole hobby benefits when we get the comments into a publication (which will probably lend itself to building further research in the future).

Again, thank you so much for taking a look at the article. I hope you took some time to look at some of the other articles at www.militarytrader.com.

With kindest regards,
                  John A-G
                  Editor, MT

Comment

Brian Leigh Davis's book British Army Uniforms & Insignia of WWII (Arms & Armour) has a photo of a Black Watch officer wearing the Tam with badge, I' m not sure if he's wearing the hackle as well - the supposition is that this use of badge was because he was a member of a Home Guard unit with t's own "foibles".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X