Berets - What colours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berets - What colours?

I have three berets, they are almost black, so I’m not sure what colour they are and who used them.
    <O></O>
    One it is “Royal Pay Corps”, it is something between very dark grey and black:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mietekk2000/detail?.dir=7a98re2&.dnm=818are2.jpg&.src=ph What colour it is- black? Grey?
    <O></O>
    Two other are very dark green, almost black, however on the picture look more greenish that they are in fact:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mietekk2000/detail?.dir=7a98re2&.dnm=586cre2.jpg&.src=ph
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mietekk2000/detail?.dir=7a98re2&.dnm=fa67re2.jpg&.src=ph
    Again, are they dark green, or black but they changed colours, or it is result of manufacturing process?
    <O></O>
    Regards
    <O></O>
    mietek

Navy Blue and Dark green were thier orginal colours but they are quite faded.

Must have been worn for a while.

Comment

Hi,

The first is actually for a Colonel or Brigadier in the British army and not the pay corps. A nice looking early QC (post 1952) beret as well.

The other two are "rifle green" berets as worn by light infantry (Royal Green Jackets and Light Infantry. (edit) oops forgot Gurkha Rifles and I think Small Arms School)... or now as the light infantry regiments have been amalgamated (Royal Green Jackets, Light Infantry, Devon and Dorset L.I., and RGBW L.I.) "the rifles" and both look to be current or very recent styles.

All the best

Felix
      Last edited by Felix J; 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much.
        I still need to learn a lot about berets

Do you know any internet sources about berets? I have problems to identify them, as differnces between colours are often not clear for me.

Comment

I'm not aware of an on-line source of beret colours, but the following may be of use:

Dark Blue - Certain corps, cavalry, infantry regiments and RN/RM
          Blue-Grey - QARANC (similar to RAF)
          Khaki - Guards and certain infantry regiments
          Dark Green - Rifle regiments & SASC
          Cypress Green - Int Corps
          Light Green - AGC
          Mid Green - Commando
          Maroon - Airborne
          Sand - SAS
          Lovat - SRR
          Red - RMP
          Powder Blue - AAC
          Black - RTR
          Brown - Certain cavalry & Yeomanry regiments
          Grey - Certain cavalry & Yeomanry regiments

And... erm... yellow - 49 Para

Comment

The QARANC beret is dark grey, nothing like the RAF one.

Comment

Well, it looks not dissimilar to the one I used to wear - but it was faded somewhat and the RAF berets were more greyer then than they are now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Actually the green one w/out liner looks more like a Boy Scouts Beret than a military one.

Comment

Thank you for clarification with the colours.

However looks that I'll struggle to find differences between all grey/black and green beret shades. Too many shades, with too small differences between them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X