Various Cap Badges Yorkshire Regt. and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various Cap Badges Yorkshire Regt. and others

What periods are these from, and how common are they? I am near the end of my box of badges......just a few more after these.

Thanks,
    Ron
    1. Yorkshire Regiment.

2. What is this one?

3. What is this one?

4. Royal Welsh Fusiliers

5. Northumberland Fusiliers

6. Royal Engineers

7. Unknown to me....what is it?

Hi Ron.

Number 2 is a badge from the Coldstream Guards.
    Number 3 is one from the Royal Fusiliers.
    The last one i am not sure of.
    Could be Army Veterinary Corps.

They are all ww2 era.
    The last one could be ww1 and /or ww2 era.
    Don't know for sure as i can't find that one in my books that fast.

They are not really hard to find.
    Except for the first one.
    This is the first time i see one.

Regards,
    Sipke
    Last edited by Haplo; 04-15-2007, 03:59 AM.

Comment

First one is a WWI(ish) periood Princess of Wales' Own Yorkshire Regiment.

Last one is army veterinary corps, I would think WWI period almost certainly. Looks like the white metal centre has come away somewhat. You may be able to gently push this back into place.

Comment

The NF is the all brass WW1 version. They became bimetal in the 1920s. The AVC is the most desireable (£15) as it is the WW1 pattern. The design had changed by WW2.

The RWF is also the WW1 pattern (spelling of Welsh rather than the post 1920 Welch. It appears to be an all brass 1916 economy version so worth about £10. Although this looks original the fact that this type has been so widely faked means its price it only about £5.

The remiander could be either war except for the RE which is definately WW2 as it is King GVI cypher.

Alan

Comment

The NF badge was worn as the normal pattern badge, it was'nt just a WWI 1916-19 economy, the regiment adopted a bimetal varsion after it was made Royal in 1935.

The Welsh Fusiliers WWI economy looks good, worth more than a fiver.

Comment

How can you tell that it is a ww1 economy version?
            They haven't changed much between ww1 and ww2.

Comment

A lot of different units badges which would normally be produced in white metal or bimetal were produced in brass 1916 - 19.

Technically, with one or two exceptions, what appears to be brass in British cap badges is gilding metal, not brass, but these 1916-19 economy badges were of brass - I have no idea how you can tell brass from gilding metal just by looking, though brass is probably more of a yellow colour.

The normal Northumberland Fusilers badge from Victorian times through WWI & into the 1930's was in gilding metal, a brass version being issued 1916-19, the WWII badge was in bimetal, & had the regimental motto "QUO FATA VOCANT" (Wither The Fates Lead) instead of the wording NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILERS.

The Royal Welsh Fusiliers badge was in bimetal, this is the brass economy badge.

The spelling at this time was "WELSH", I think that it was in 1922 that the spelling was changed to "WELCH".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X