East Surrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Surrey

Again what period, and is it common also?

Thanks,
    Ron

Here you can find some info on the east surrey regiment:http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/031ESurr.htm

Comment

The crown on this appears to be a "Gothic" or "Imperial" Crown. Although less common than the "Victorian" pattern seen on other insignia, this was also worn during Queen Victoria's reign.

I believe this is shown as #639 in Kipling and King, and should date pre-1902, but afraid I can't be more helpful than that.

Comment

Instead of the "big eared" Victorian Crown, the East Surreys used this "flat-topped" one, also referred to by collectors as the "Cavalry" crown & as the "Jubilee Crown" (K&K 639).

Obviously, it's fairly similar to the Kings Crown (Imperial Crown, Tudor Crown), this version of the badge being sealed 21/1/02. ( K&K 640).

From what I've seen, the tips of the name scroll of the flat topped Victorian Crown do not usually meet the star, & they are look flimsier, but this example looks "substantial".

I've always wondered if the flat topped Victorian Crown continued in production for some time after it should have stopped, perhaps as a result of a foible of regiment or die-cutter. The similarty of crowns probably meant that old stock contnued in use anyway.

Those lttle rectangular bits next to the castle - a minor variation is that some strikings have them in yellow metal, some in whte metal.
        Last edited by leigh kitchen; 04-15-2007, 06:05 AM.

Comment

The Imperial flat toped crown, the lugs and the style of construction all suggest a Vicorian or early Edwardian era badge. Leigh is probably quite correct that the Regt retained the flat top crown for some years after EVII came to the throne but I have been unable to find an exact date.

There is a version of the badge with a slider but with a thin solid backed scroll. Although it has a pre1901 era crown I have always thought that it was a WW1 badge which was made using the older crown to meet the huge demand for badges in 1914-15 as the Army expanded.

Alan

Comment

I've got a couple of these thin badges with flat topped crowns, name scroll not touching the star at the ends?
            Badly struck slider, shoddily put together, it had occurred to me that these strikings may be WWI.

I need to check, but I think that I've got a nice solid striking of the East Surreys badge with what looks like a flat topped crown, obtained from another kid when I was at school - his grandfathers from WWII.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X