Australian Commonwealth Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Commonwealth Badges

I assume these are "general service" cap badges for Australian Forces, but what periods are they from. There seems to be a difference in the two, which I further assume is just a manufacturer variation. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Ron

Yes, but that manufacturers difference may date the badges.

Let's wait for the experts to comment..............

Comment

There are two different sizes in these badges, the small collar badges and the large one for the slouch hat. It's always difficult to determine if these badges are ww1 or 2. The ww1 slouch hat badge usually has a single tang at the back for attachment and is made in England. The ww1 collars normally have squareish lugs on the back, that have a square profile as well. Haven't seen many collars with a makers stamp.
      These one's pictured look like ww2 examples. I will try and get some photo's of the difference and post them.
      Regards Bruce.
      Last edited by Lone Pine; 04-16-2007, 03:46 AM.

Comment

One rule which I was always told to go by is that WW1 badges are brass and WW2 copper. Not sure how accurate this is though. Nice badges by the way.

Mark

Comment

Here is mine.

Cheers, Ade.
          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Ade, it looks like a real quality piece.
            I do tend to like the British made examples from the First World War. I was going to take some photos later today so will share some examples.

Mark

Comment

Well I'm back with a few examples.
              This first one is a WW1 British example which is sitting on a 1940 dated slouch hat. The badge is a quality brass example with slider to the reverse.
              Ron, I actually think that the 2nd example which you have is a WW1 collar badge. Very difficult to find and much more scarce than the WW2 variety. I'm actually trying to find a couple of originals for a WW1 British made Australian tunic but will have to place WW2 examples on it until I can find real WW1 badges.
              Ade, Your's looks to be made of brass. Am I correct? It could very well be a WW1 slouch hat badge.

Mark
              Attached Files

Comment

This is the reverse of the WW1 badge shown clearly showing the typical British manufacturers use of the slider as opposed to lugs.
                Attached Files

Comment

Another WW1 British made example which I found in an antiques market only 2 weeks ago. Once again it has the slider to reverse and is a high quality brass example.
                  Attached Files

Comment

and the reverse of the above badge
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is one of the more common WW2 manufactured slouch hat badges, K.G. Luke from Melbourne in Victoria. This is your typical blackened copper example in use during WW2.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The reverse is clearly marked with the manufacturers name.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Finally, one of the more scarce makers, General Plastics. This badge would have been blackened but has had this removed and now clearly shows the distinctive colour of copper.
                          Attached Files

Comment

And of course the reverse.

Mark
                            Attached Files

Comment

I got hold of this one and I was going to start a new thread and ask about it, but now I can post here

I got this one, age?Got a makermark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X