riggers knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

riggers knife

I picked up this knife today, I’ve been told that it’s a riggers knife and that it is from ww1. I feel that it is more likely ww2 can any one help and maybe give me more information on it?
    Edward
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Can't tell you much more, but it's a jacknife, not restricted in issue to riggers or signalers.

Comment

looks to me like a naval knife, these knives usually have a spike on them which this one does
          hope it helps
          brian

Comment

There was a thread on similar knives a while ago - Ade posted a link on it to a site about these, I think.
            A search should find it.

Comment

I'd say this was most likely Naval and judging from it's style and markings WW1 period.

Jack.

Comment

I'd go along with the naval theme. I've got my grandfather's jack knife that he carried during WW1 and it's much the same style. The differences are that his has black checkered slabs on the handle and the can opener is of a different design, so I'd put this one a bit later but not by more than a few years. Same type blade, same overall shape and probably the same size. Thinking more it may well be WW1 as he joined in 1906 and the joints are well rounded, not a safe knife to use now. Gran used to have one of those can openers on a rigid handle, absolute killer to use.

Comment

Ones like these are still being issued.

It is Boson's Knife.

The big spike is called Marlinespike for making splices in ropes etc.

They were issues to all the services not just the RN btw.

Comment

Well I can only give my own experiences with regard to this knife. When I joined the RN in 1969 I was not issued with a jack knife, if I wanted one I had to buy one from slops. By this time they were no longer personal issue items but were personal loan recorded in the paybook if the item was required. I purchased one for my younger brother who was in the sea cadets at the time. It was much same in overall shape as this item but again the can opener was different and the grip slabs were checkered grey pot metal with a swell to them. The blade had also lost it's point, being squared off as the army type (can't remember the name for this form maybe it's lambs foot) and there was an integral screwdriver. I seem to remember that there was a panel on both slabs, one with the NSN the other blank that could be stamped with the owners ID etc. Maybe just one blank panel though, memories fade , I didn't really think then that I was handling something that would be of interest to militaria collectors nearly 40 years on .

Much more desirable was the army type jack knife at 2/3 the size and made from stainless steel, especially the less common type with a spike.

We always referred to them as a 'pusser's dirk'. I think you may be thinking of a bosun's pipe.
                    Last edited by Jim Maclean; 04-16-2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your input. I didn’t think that I would get so many responses; I’m pleasantly surprised that I did.
                      Edward

Comment

re 'Jack Knife'

Or have a look at the Australian Army WW1 version here,

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...australian.htm

it shows Our WW1 Army variation (could show the WW2, but didn't look that far)

daveinoz

Comment

Would be net to compile the number of names and odd uses that are often quoted for the Marlinespike.

My fab which I have seen a few times in various forms

"Commando knife with attack spike"

Comment

Hi

It looks like version of the 1913 Pattern British knife, which was produced till 1938. however it is full metal, usually they were as:
                            http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mietek...e2.jpg&.src=ph

They are larger than normal ww2:

Comment

Thought I would take advantage of this opportunity to share a photo of my knives. The large all metal knife is stamped with a large C broad arrow and is not dated. The others are all WW2 dated.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X