Lincolnshire Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincolnshire Badges

Maybe this is one for Steve. I notice he is from Lincolnshire. What is the difference between Lincolnshire and Royal Lincolnshire Regiment? Is it just different time frames, or is it totally different units? What periods are these from? Are they just commonly encountered badges?

Thanks,
    Ron

1st. One

2nd. Badge

Hi Ron,

Yes these are the badges once worn by my local regiment.

Both badges are genuine 'other ranks' examples.

The first example was worn from 1890 (not approx) - 1946

The second examples was worn from 1946 - 1960 when the regiment became "Royal".

The badge commemorates a battle against Napoleon in Egypt..........the 10th Foot didnt actually make it on time for the battle, despite that fact King George III was so impressed that the regiment had marched a considerable distance to try to be there that he allowed the Sphinx to be adopted as the badge of the regiment.

The badge you dont have is the one with the blank base scroll. This was worn by the 4th and 5th Battalions of the Lincolnshire regiment upon their formation in 1908. The Lincolnshire Regiment felt that only the regular Battalions had earned the "Egypt" Battle Honour. However during WW1 these badges soon ran out and the territorial battalions wore the badge which starts your thread.

Steve.
    Last edited by yellow; 04-14-2007, 02:48 PM.

Comment

The non-royal type is K&K 600, the regiment was titled "Royal" in 1946 (Ary Order 167/1946), as were theLeicesters & the Hampshires. The badge wth ROYAL was sealed 17/3/48, K&K 1978, it was supersceded by the anodised version sealed11/3/65, referred tobut not illustrated by K&K.

As the regiment had been swallowed up into the East Anglian Bde & was wearing the brigade cap badge (which had been sealed in bi-anodised 22/5/58) since about 1958, then presumably the anod. regimental badge was'nt worn by the regular battalions.

In 1960 the regiment amalgamated with the Northamptonshire Regiment to form the 2nd East Anglian Regiment (Duchess of Gloucester's Own Royal Lincolnshire & Northamptonshire), continuing to wear the Bde cap badge.

I've seen a beret badge version advertised in a dealers list in 1988, basically a collar dog with its proportionately longer name scroll, but did they exist?

I've also seen a very dirty brass or officers bronzed service dress collar dogs with slider, sold as a beret badge, also in 1988.
      Last edited by leigh kitchen; 04-14-2007, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Steve and Leigh.

Ron

Comment

Interesting thread....I have numerous of these, other badges and documents as my grandfather served with the Lincolnshire Regiment during WWI.

Incidentally, I put South Yorkshire as my location as that is where I used to live, however now and living in the same house I believe I live in Linclonlshire...formerly South Humberside................

/Ian
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Here's some of mine that came from my Grandparents..

My Grandfather served, at least in January 1919 on his discharge, with 8th Bn. Lincolnshire Regiment.

/Ian
            Attached Files

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Close up.....the one on the left appears to be made of different material to the one on the right?!?!
              Attached Files

Comment

My Grandfather
                Attached Files

Comment

The two cap badges look like the same metals, just struck on different dies. THe different lettering style on the sweetheart brooch is interesting - presumably it was felt necessary to literally spell the regiments name out as it was thought that interpreting the Old English of the cap badges would be too difficult?

8th Lincolns were formed at Lincoln in 1914 & were part of 63 bde, 21st Div, which was formed 1914, 63 Bde were later transferred to 37th Divthe in exchenge for 110 Bde in July 1914.

The division assembled in Hertfordshire & moved to Aldershot in July 1915, began the move to France 2/9/15 & was concentrated west of St Omer by the 13th, 25th September fought at Loos, Somme offensive July - October 1916, in support of 21st Divs attack at Fricourt on 1st July, advancing at 08:40 hrs, suffering heavy casualties crossing no mans land, reinforced 8th Somerstes on the left of the assault, bombing attacks gained further ground. By evening the battalion was holding positions from Dart Alley - Lozenge Alley, having suffered 251 casualties.
                  Entrained at Dernancourt for Ailly-sur-Somme on 4th July & marched from there to Vaux-en-Amienois. To Talmas 7th July, there 63 Bde transferred to 37th Div because of severe casualties.
                  To Mondicourt 8/7/16, relieved 1st/5th Lincolns in trenches at the Hannescamps Sector on the 11th, relieved & sent to Humbercamps on the 14th, it bagan the move away from the Somme area, arriving at Raincheval from Amplier on 22nd October. To Beauval 30th October, Lucheux 8th November, Acheux Wood 12th November.
                  13-18/11/16, under command of 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, moved forward to Martinsart on the 14th, taking over captured German trenches around Beaucourt during the evening - the division had attacked north of the Ancre, the taking all of its objectives, including Beaucourt, which the 36th (Ulster) Div had failed to take on 1st July.

18/11/16, gained ground in Muck Trench, west to Leave Avenue, relieved 20/11/16, & to Mailly-Maillet, cvasualties 175.

9-11/4/17, heavy fighting east of Arras, River Scarpe, Monchy Le Preux captured 11/4/17.

Fought at Pilckem Ridge in the Ypres Sector 31st July - 2nd August.

27 September - 3 October 1917 fighting at Polygon Wood, 4 October Broodseinde, 9 October Poelcappelle, 12 October & 26 October - 10 November.

Fought at the Ancre River in April 1918, during the German Spring Offensive, on 5th April the 5th Bn & 8th Bn LIncolns & 8th Somersets suffered heavy casualties captuing a small amount of ground at Rossignol Wood.

The 8th Lincolns Chaplain, the Rev. Theodore Bayly Hardy, aged over 50 yrs, was awarded the VC. Showing great courage in tending wounded under fire on numerous occassions, he displayed great bravery & devotion to duty on 3 occassions during April 1918, near Bucquoy & east of Gommecourt.
                  Following a raiding party, he put his life at risk several times aiding the wounded, also freed with his bare hands a number of men who had been buried alive. He was killed 18/10/18, having been awarded the VC, DSO & MC.

37th Div fought in the Somme ops of 21-23 August 1918, & during September - October on the Hindenburg LIne at Havrincourt, the Canal de Nord & Cambrai
                  Pursued the Germans to the Selle 9-12 October - they strengthened defences & put up great resistance until 25th September.

37th Div was relieved after fghting on the Sambre River on 4/11/18.

During WWI 21st Div lost 55,581 & 37th Div 29,969 kileed, wounded & missing.

Some emotive place names amongst that lot.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info Leigh,

I don't think my Grandfather was in 8th Bn. all of the time as in 1915 he was apparently in Dublin....he was too ill to travel to France and was sent to France sometime in 1916...

Don't know much more than that. I keep meaning to go to the Museum of Lincolnshire Life (?), I think that is were some of the Records are kept.....if not that one, then I still haven't made it!

We don't have his medals, either he never claimed the or never got any!!!

Cheers,
                    Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X