X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-cmr

Quick quetion On a

WWI victory medal the unit is 1-CMR.

Which to me is "Canadian Mounted Rifles" but the rank is Pvt. shouldn't it be Trpr. (Trooper) or alike.

Or am I missing the boat on this one as the vet involved could of been in the British Armry and CMR is something else?

I believe it is 1st (Cdn) Mounted Rifles. I believe that only our few "real" (reg. force) cavalry units used the "trooper" rank, so "private is probably correct for a WWI CMR medal. They served (on foot) at Vimy Ridge, BTW. Nice medal!
    Peter

Comment

Please post the regimental number, initial and surname on the rim of the medal........unless Adam beats me too it I may have a little surprise for you.

Steve.

Comment

Actually I am quite ashamed of asking the question

1) I have never bothered to research it
        2) I actually belongs to an relative (by marriage)
        3) I have a whole box (be it small) of stuff he had and gave to my older brother which I have had in my possession for years.
        4) One of my earliest memories was meeting him and seeing the leg wound he had and the sound of the cough he had i can still hear (gassed at some point I guess)

"Physician heal thy self"

I will get the info tomorrow

cheers and thanks

Comment

Based at Brandon Suffolk at one point - I have a photo somewhere of a very tall, named man of the CMR - "Brandon Man" - standing with two very short men.

Comment

You should be able to look up quite a bit of info on him, and I am happy to check some of my references for some other things as well, but we'll need to know the specifics.

Pte (not PVT!) would be correct for the rank for the CMR battalions.

Comment

Well finally off my arse again and dug up the info,

Cottle E J 186060
              He is on line at the National archives so no need to go there so I guess he was in the 1 Candain Mounted Rifles.

All I know is that after he was gassed he was a batman for the remainder of the war and that he hated horese his entire life according to my dear old aunt anyway.

cheers?

Comment

cap badge

Just for interests sake the cap badge of the 1st CANADIAN MOUNTED RIFLES
                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X