• Time
  • Show
Clear All

York and Lancaster badge

What can you tell me about this one?

Thanks,
    Ron

What is it that you wish to know Ron?

This was my reenactment WW.1 regiment before I left the UK, so I may be able to help.

Seph

Comment

Originally posted by findabetterole View Post
      What is it that you wish to know Ron?

This was my reenactment WW.1 regiment before I left the UK, so I may be able to help.

Seph
      Seph,

In the other posts I have done I indicate that I know nothing about these badges. I picked them up over the years at fleamarkets a few pieces at a time, and none since about the early 80's......just threw then back in a box. I wanted to know what they were.....about the units, time period of the badge, some kind of approximate worth. Basically anything.........because I am totally ignorant of them now.

Thanks,
      Ron

Comment

OH.. OK.. no problem there. It's just that the question; "What can you tell me about this badge?" is a bit superfluace. Try and be a bit more specific in what your asking about.

Anyway, the badge title is self explanatory. The period of wear is roughly from 1881 (Cardwell Reforms) to just prior WW.2.

Price wise.... about 6.GBP. There are several variations of this particular badge depending upon who was the items manufacturer. Slight variation in the design of the Rose, Tiger, Crown and Laurels. Also differences in the colour and quality of the brass used. I have (still in storage in the UK) seven different such variants.

Hope thats helped somewhat?

Seph

Comment

Originally posted by findabetterole View Post
          OH.. OK.. no problem there. It's just that the question; "What can you tell me about this badge?" is a bit superfluace. Try and be a bit more specific in what your asking about.

Anyway, the badge title is self explanatory. The period of wear is roughly from 1881 (Cardwell Reforms) to just prior WW.2.

Price wise.... about 6.GBP. There are several variations of this particular badge depending upon who was the items manufacturer. Slight variation in the design of the Rose, Tiger, Crown and Laurels. Also differences in the colour and quality of the brass used. I have (still in storage in the UK) seven different such variants.

Hope thats helped somewhat?

Seph
          Thanks, it is. Sorry.....but I don't know enough about these to be able to ask a good question about them.

Ron

Comment

Some info on the unit can be found here:

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/065YL.htm

Hi Seph, some friends of mine includng "GaryXXI" on the forum re-enact the Hallamshire Regt (WW2 era)

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ade,

Don't you mean The Hampshire Regt? Ive been trying to find a WW.1 British unit to join here in California, but all WW.1 reenactment seems to be on the east coast. I know of a Doughboy Regt the HQ for which is somewhere in Texas, but thats still a tad far to go for a weekend. I'll keep trying as there must be at least one unit near me. Might mean I form one myself!

As a matter of interest, as far as my memory serves me, in reference to the British Unknown Soldier. Attending his funeral were 100 'VC' recipients, one of whom was a member of the York and Lancaster Regiment. I'm not 100% on this as it's a fare while since I carried out the research, but I think the same individual was one of the six pall bearers from the Gun Carraige to the position of State in the Abbey. Thats a nice bit of history to have attached to ones Cap Badge!

The Hampshires have a rather distinquised history as I recal. Its rather frustrating though not to be able to bring to hand a regiments movements, Battle Honours, uniform details and so forth, due to them being near across the other side of the globe. One day soon I hope!

How long have you chaps been reenacting? I know of some WW.2 British units here if you'd like the links!

Seph.

Comment

This badge was sealed 28/10/1897 (K&K 679), an anodised version was sealed 1/11/63, the regiment was disbanded in 1969 at the time the new Training Brigades were formed, allegedly because it refused to amalgamate.

The regiment was formed in may 1881 from the amalgamation of the 65th & the 84th Foot.

The Hallamshires were distinct from the Hampshire Regiment & were originally the Hallamshire Volunteer Rifle Corps, in 1881 it became a volunteer battalion pf the Yorks & Lancs - the 1st Hallamshire Bn, & upon the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908, the 4th (TF) Bn Yorks & Lancs. In 1909, it was renamed 4th (Hallamshire) Bn of the Yorks & Lancs.
                They had their own named cloth titles & regimental white rose patches - I've got a set somewhere.

Anyway, they wore this cap badge too.

Comment

Thank You Leigh.

I didn't know about the Hallamshire Regt, so i'll need to do a little delving research on that.

Seph

Comment

Hi Seph, I have been doing re-enactment for 30 years now (Man and boy ) I do Soviet Red Army and British A/B.

I will draw Gary's attention to this thread and get him to add some pics of the lads doing the Hallamshire Regt in WW2.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I'll look foward to viewing those pics of your WW.2 reenactments Ade!

Do you know anyone this side of the pond who reenacts WW1 British? I've scanned the Great War Association site over here, but there seems only to be US and German units this side of the country. I'm toying with the idea of starting my own British regiment soon here in southern California (initially).

Being a Scouser, I've several regiments to chose from: Kings Liverpool, Manchester, Lancashire Fusiliers, Liverpool Pals, or my former UK group... York and Lancs.

Reproduction items are easy to find and plentiful here, and for good quality items a reasonable price. Full '08' webb equipment: $250, 1916 Gas Mask + bag: $120, Putties: $25, Brodie full replacement liner kit: $35, 1910 jckt: $210. Incidentally, Jeff Carefoot: owner of "Tommy's Pack Fillers" over there in England, is a member of the York and Lancs unit I was a part of. Hes a very knowledgeable chap, and his resin items are especially superb. Its a pity that postage is so high from the UK

This thread is turning into a very interesting section, connected as it is with the cap badge of the York and Lancaster Regiment. Thanks 'Ron C' for starting this thread off.

Slightly off thread, I've just purchased four Allied bayonets for my collection, one '07' (Siamese) which I have been after for nearly ten years and missed out on for several times, and three US Pattern-1913's. The latter are all cancelled British contract examples = June, August, September 1917. I'll be posting those for the forum chums to enjoy once they have all arrived. Two are coming from the UK, so that could be a couple of weeks as yet.

Seph

Comment

Ive got a sand cast Yorks and Lancs badge, someone has neatly enamelled it.

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X