Hip flask 1944 dated, Unususal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hip flask 1944 dated, Unususal?

Heres something I have never come across before a hip flask War department dated bought straight from the Vet with a load of other gear he brought back he said his mate had given it to him and he thought it was medic issue?

Anyone that can provide me with an answer and maybe a value as I might put it on estand?

Cheers, Mat.
    Attached Files

different angle
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mat, not something I have ever seen before either. Is it silver, as it appears to have been hallmarked?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi ade,
        its not silver as the marks which look like hallmarks are actually cleverly disguised makers initials no lion head etc.
        The flask itself is non-magnetic so im guessing stainless steel?
        The makers letters are J D & S

Comment

ww2 SBS oversuits had special sleeve pocket for the brandy flask.
          I know that also hip flasks were on the list of equipment used by people parashuted in Poland to support "Armia Krajowa".

Since over two years I wanted to know what kind of hip flasks they used.
          I thought that only private purchase, but looks that were also issued one.
          Very interesting.

However design looks more like ww1 than ww2.

Comment

Few days ago I went to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Imperial</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">War</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Museum</st1:PlaceType> in <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">London</st1:City></st1lace>.
            There was a chaplain’s valise with content. It included flask such this one.
            I know that at least valises were with arrow markings, likely that flask too
            So it might be flask’s origin, it might also explain 19 century/ww1 design, despite 1944 manufacturing date.
            <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
            On the other hand I just read about agent parachuted in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Norway</st1lace></st1:country-region>, he had also a flask, but more likely civilian.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X