• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tam 0'Shamter Black watch regt

Open for discussion on request by member Adam J. Haslett

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post1902800

Thanks

Edwin

It has the Mackenzie tartan patch of the Highland Light Infantry rather than the Government Tartan of the Black Watch.

If genuine, the badge is the white metal Other Ranks pattern of the regular battalions worn c1902 through WWII, although in theory replaced by a version without the scrolls c1936.

What Adam has already picked up on no doubt along with the matter of the tartan is that this badge was worn with the glengarry & not with the Balmoral bonnet.

A red feather hackle was worn in lieu of the metal badge on this form of headgear.

Looking at the close up of the badge, I'm not sure that it's genuine...........

Comment

So in plain English it means that the badge and background do not match...right ??

I still wanna sell it on Estand but what would be a fair price ???
      I'm a Wehrmacht camo collecter and I reverded a price to Peter's (collecters guide) site

Thanks for the feedback sofar

Edwin

Comment

I would split them up as all three do not belong together.

The Balmoral looks ok at least have know Idea on the price.

No way to prove the tartan patch is WWII so it is worth only 2 to 5$.

I am not sure on the badge either?

Comment

The others are quite right in their assessments. The badge is dubious, and does not belong on the balmoral (although photos exist of them being worn on balmorals, but certainly not the regular practice).

I agree that the items are best sold separately.

As to price, if the badge is in fact not original (we would need better photos of the obverse and reverse to have any hope of being sure either way) it is worth virtually nothing. A relatively common badge, even if genuine.

The tartan swatch holds no great value as mentioned above, but somebody may be looking for one...can always hope.

The balmoral itself looks okay, but these khaki types cannot be attributed to any specific regiment as such. I am not sure what you would be able to get for it on its own, sorry...but I am not a collector of headgear as such. Perhaps searching online dealers sites and/or ebay will shed some light on this for you.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

The maker of this cap has quite an interesting background being a Jewish immigrant to the UK from Russia. A photo here shows a picture of the cap factory:

http://www.mucjs.org/EXHIBITION/2COL1.HTML

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X