Researching Jedburghs; Small Scale Raiding Force & Lord Lovat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researching Jedburghs; Small Scale Raiding Force & Lord Lovat

Hi all, quite an interesting thread title isn't it? Let me elaborate..

I'm researching Dutch Jedburghs, one of these men was, before he joined the Jedburghs, a member of the 'Small Scale Raiding Force', sometimes referred to as 'Small Ships Raiding Force', 'Maid Honour Force’ or 'No. 62 Commando'.

I came across a passage in a book in which the writer tells that this Dutch Jed is mentioned by name in Lord Lovat's memoirs. According to the writer Lovat says that 'they were joined by Anders Lassen and this Dutchman …..'. Anders Lassen was also a member of the SSRF. As far as I know, Lovat hasn't been part of the SSRF; when I think of Lovat, I think of No. 4 commando.

Back to the Dutch Jed, his personnel file indicates that he was just with SSFR, no other commando outfits, besides the Jeds of course. So how could this Dutch Jed and Anders Lassen have 'joined' Lovat? I can't connect them..

This raises several questions;

Has Lovat ever been part of SSRF?
    Has No.4 commando ever been joined by (members of) the SSRF in a raid?
    Does anyone know something about Lovat's memoirs?

And worth asking, does anyone have a personnel roster of SSRF?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Shelbycobra1966; 03-19-2007, 07:15 AM.

Hiya Pretty sure Lovat was never in the SSRF also the SSRF were commanded and run by SOE as its own ` commando` unit so i think they were kept away from normal units ? they were basically told to `sod` off down to an old country house Anderson mannor i think its called and ` do their own thing` the best book i have located on this unit is ` No colours or crest` by Peter KEMP , he fought in the Spanish civil war ( on the wrong side ?) then later joined the SSRF the book is superb and really captures the spirit of these guys there may be copies out there ebay etc but i dont think it has been republished in years , cant remember a dutch guy being mentioned but will have a look again and let you know any details ,regards ,Michael.

Comment

Jedburghs & SSRF

I think to answer the questions would take quite a lot of research and access to prime sources. Noting the book that Michael mentioned "No Colours or Crest", published by Cassell in 1958 and a title I did not know of, I checked to see how easy it would be to buy. The prices I found were $75 (Amazon.Com), £95 (Military History Books.Com), £109.25 (Amazon UK) and $225 (AntiQbooks). It is obviously a scarce book and one for the Christmas wants list

Comment

http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00091140;

..this new episode of the history of the SSRF, has all of the ingredients of a war spy thriller: the very secret Special Operations Executive, created by Winston Churchill, a commando of courageous men from diverse and quite singular backgrounds, including an authentic English Lord, a member of the Free French Naval Forces, a Dutchman, a Pole, a Sudeten German communist; but also valorous members of the French Resistance..

I wonder who that 'English lord' is..

Comment

Not a complete list --some of the officers in the SSRF

Major Gus March-Philips Kia
          Major J.G.Appleyard Kia
          Capt. G.Hayes Captured and murdered
          Lt. Anders Lassen VC,MC** later SBS Kia
          Cpt.Philip Pinckney later SBS and 2SAS capured and shot
          Lt.Jack Evans later 2SAS and Pow
          Capt. the Lord Howard of Penrith

As I said not a complete list.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X