Opinions on Tankers Helmet Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Tankers Helmet Please.

I've had this some time now. I know very little about paint finishes on British helmets but hope to improve my knowledge. The liner is dated 1941 which seems a bit early. I'm not sure if paint finish is wartime applied or not. The top picture shows what I believe to be an earlier paint scheme of standard early war light olive brown but this has had a lighter colour added. The 'decal' seems hand painted but I think this may be post war applied by either an old soldier or a collector, it has none of the attributes of a transfer. Most of these I come accross including one in my collection are lift the dot '45 brown painted examples. Opinions welcome. Adam
    Attached Files

Pic #2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic #3
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic #4
        Attached Files

Comment

Pic #5
          Attached Files

Comment

Pic #6 last one.
            Attached Files

Comment

Picture #4 show traces of green paint on opposite side from 'decal' but not sure what it is.

Comment

I really really like that Adam,

Yes paint MAY be post war but it is beautifuly executed. The helmet it's self appears to be a nice wartime example.

Yours Guy.

Comment

Thanks guy, I guess they used these postwar but as I said, most I've seen were repainted brown. Adam

Comment

At worst you have a Mk1 Royal Armoured Corps steel helmet that's been repainted at some point, at best you have a stunning Mk1 RAC steel helmet and true unique collectors piece. My gut reaction assuming you didn't pay a premium when you got it is that the paintwork is period if not strictly wartime. Or someone with a lot of tallent has got their hands on it as it looks very, very nice. Stuff like this is always hard to tell from photographs. Average sound original condition MK1 RAC helmets are around £50-70 at the moment I think, if this is pukka then I'd imagine 3 figures could be reached relatively easily. You've got at least £40 of parts there, if you paid less than or around that then if it was done yesterday your onto a winner.

Assuming it's all original then the green rectangle could well denote a Squadron and/or Troop within the Regiment.

Comment

Well I am certainly no expert on helmets but at least the unit insigna is for the 8th Kings Royal Hussars which was converted to RAC in 1939. In 1958 they imalgimated witrh the 4th Queens Own Hussars to form The Queen's Royal Irish Hussars.

IMO this helmet could very well be legit. Although as always, I am leery of unit marked lids.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X