SOE Jack Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOE Jack Knife

I attach an image of the unmarked single blade SOE Jack Knife, this is shown together with the pages from a 1944 SOE pamphlet, available to the Jedburghs, illustrating the same pattern. Near the blade is has metal protective cover, I think also known as a bolster. There are examples of this knife that do not have this feature, however I would be keen to learn if those are post-war or wartime. This particular knife is the version carried by some of the Jedburghs, as far as I know they did not use the pattern with the tyre-slasher blade.
    Attached Files

Hi,

I have the example without the metal bolster and with the tyre slashing blade, also unmarked (it came from my grandfather who brought it from an army surplus store as a gardening knife!).

As far as I know they are all wartime pattern/issue (I don't think they were readily issued postwar and if they were they were ex-WW2 stock, I certainly have not read of any issued postwar). According to the SOE/OSS hand book there were several different styles (dependant supposedly upon manufacturer and necessity) [page 89; OSS special weapons and Equipment; 1991] It has been elicited from other books, that it was only really issued to the SOE, and not readily to the OSS (i.e. issued but in smaller numbers). There were two manufacturers, John Watts Ltd and Joseph Rodgers & Son. I am afraid I have very little knowledge of knives issued to Jedburghs, although it would be unlikely that they were on general issue, with them being manufactured in England (although it would not be an impossibility). [See page 46-47; British and Commonwealth Military Knives; 1999]

Hope this helps,

Comment

SOE Knife

Hi

I have one of the types without the metal bolster, but its marked with makers name, any idea who would have used theres, cant see them being used by the SOE,

Comment

Originally posted by Gary XXI View Post
        Hi

I have one of the types without the metal bolster, but its marked with makers name, any idea who would have used theres, cant see them being used by the SOE,
        Hi,

If you can post a photo it would help, does it have the tyre-slasher?? It should be marked along the length of the blade.

Maker marked examples are found and they are named (usually) 'Joseph Rodgers' (if memory serves) and were nearly always private purchase pieces according to Ron Flook. I have been told they were liked by Commandos in addition to their FS's as they were more versatile (? caveat emptor ?).

[See Ron Flooks book: British and Commonwealth Military Knives, for further information, page 47, plate 96].

Hope this helps,
        Last edited by Brandenburger; 02-14-2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Knife

Here is mine,

Any information on its use would be great, I have had it about 8 years.

Comment

Hi,

First of all the maker:

JOSEPH FENTON & SONS
            Sykes Works, Eyre St., Sheffield
            1797 to at least 1919 (I cannot guarantee they were working after this date, but it is possible they were still working). All information sources say they probably ceased trading earlier, but then how-come your knife is marked, lol.

Secondly your knife is virtually identical to mine with the exception of the makers mark (mine is 100% unmarked) and yours appears to have no "tyre-slasher" blade, this leads me to believe this was indeed a private purchase item, possibly purchased as just a large lock-knife as the design was apparently based on an enlarged version of the Scout knife. Your version also differs from other recognised makers marked examples as it is marked at the base of the blade like most army jack-knives, most other named examples are marked along the length of the blade (paralell to the cutting edge). It seems you may have got yourself quite a rare knife :-)

Here, fyi is the exact description as given in the 1940's OSS/SOE equipment catalogue:

"DESCRIPTION: This special saboteur's knife features both a conventional lock-blade, and a special "Hawk-bill" slashing blade. When closed, the knife, with its bakelite handles, appears to be only a common utility knife.

PURPOSE: The knife and its special blade is intended to give an agent ready access to a weapon designed to quickly disable motor vehicles. The leverage provided by the small "Hawk-bill" blade allows the agent to cut vehicle tyres using a carving motion to the sidewall, (NB: Tyres that have been slashed in the sidewalols are not repairable)."

Hope this is of interest,

Comment

Soe Knife

Hi,

Sorry I am late replying, been over in Belgium taking part in the 82nd AB Memorial March,

The information you listed is very interesting I have never looked into the makers name , I must do more research on this knife and the maker as it would be nice to find out its true story and use,

Many Thanks Again,

Comment

Hiya Clive,

Lovely knife and pamphlet!! Excellent stuff!

My Dad has a few SOE and escape items in his collection and he wanted me to ask if you (or anyone else) have any original references or information on the unmarked multi-tool. There's a few bits of information in books etc. but I wanted to see something similar to what Clive has at the top of the thread.

Here's a picture I've just made. Sorry it's not the best.

Jack.
                Attached Files

Comment

SOE Jack Knife

Interesting comments on these knives, thank you. Regarding your knife Jack I believe that these were originally an MI9 Escape pattern. I have an original 1943 dated MI9 Book-Catalogue and will check to see if this is illustrated. You see these knives mentioned as being SOE and OSS, whist it is probable that some of them did use them I think its origin is as I have stated. When I was in Amsterdam a couple of years ago I bought a neat example of this knife and the seller thought it could have had an Airborne connection, but this could never be proven. Clive.

Comment

MI9 Escape Knife

This Knife is not shown in the MI9 Book that was published in 1943. It is however mentioned in "MI9 Escape and Evasion 1939-1945" book by Foot and Langley published in 1979 and will attach what it has to say about it. The image that follows is the pattern I bought in Holland.
                    Attached Files

Comment

MI9 Escape Knife

Bought in Holland a couple of years ago. Unusual that the actual knife blade has been serrated. I do not know if the description of the Lock Breaker is correct, I read somewhere that this may have had a different purpose.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary XXI View Post
                        Hi,

Sorry I am late replying, been over in Belgium taking part in the 82nd AB Memorial March,

The information you listed is very interesting I have never looked into the makers name , I must do more research on this knife and the maker as it would be nice to find out its true story and use,

Many Thanks Again,
                        No worries, I hope you enjoyed yourself!!

A good place to start is Ron Flooks Book British and Commonwealth Military Knives

and

H.Keith Melton's book OSS Special Weapons and Equipment

Both of the above book will give you a base for research, but also try any other book on knives/tools of the Secret Services (Try Amazon it should turn up a few reasonable books).

Will see if any of my other books at home have any more info in, and will try to post some photos of my knives on here too.

Good Luck,
                        Don't hesitate to PM if you've got any more questions,
                        Tom

Comment

Thanks for the excellent info Clive! That's certainly cleared a few things up. Your example is in great condition!

Jack.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X