No announcement yet.

1st Can Para Beret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received the name Hockin from the seller today and found this info online... Private Douglas F. Hockin (#H18487) died in 1993. This info came from some fellow forum members (thank you very much!): He did his jump course in Shilo in 44 and was promoted to Sergeant at some point. Served with B company, 5 platoon in Belgium, Holland and Germany. I also was quite pleased to find a photo of Private D.F. Hockin in the National Archives. He is the second man from the left.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Infanteer; 04-12-2007, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, well, after having this tunic for a few months now I think I may see if I can find some insignia to replace what was removed. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good / bad / indifferent idea? Regardless, it would be nice to have an original set of insignia to display with the tunic even if I don't sew them on. So the problem is (of course) finding some good insignia. Does anyone have any spare 1CPB shoulder titles or Pegasus patches?

Comment

Dont sew any on it, leave it like it is. When you restore it, it wil always been a "messed with" tunic. If you know what i mean. But thats only my humble opinion.

Jeroen

Comment

Hmmm, lots of people have been telling me the same thing. So I guess I am looking for insignia to display along side the tunic so that people can see what is missing.

Comment

I'm with Jeroen on this, if you add insignia to this blouse it won't have the same appearance/condition/wear as the others...

Scott

Comment

I understand the points brought up, but my intention was only to add the insignia temporarily so that it would display better and remove it again if I ever part with the tunic. Of course this was all to be for my benefit but displaying the insignia in a frame next to the tunic would be an acceptable alternative. Of course this is all just empty talk if I can't even find some insignia to start with.

Comment

A nice, minty canvas shoulder title just sold on ebay for $530 US. It would be very, very difficult for you to find a matched pair of these titles and it would cost you an arm and a leg as well. If you could find a single title, it would look great in a display case and not mess with the integrity of the BD. It would also save you a few bucks...

Gary

Originally posted by Infanteer View Post
                I understand the points brought up, but my intention was only to add the insignia temporarily so that it would display better and remove it again if I ever part with the tunic. Of course this was all to be for my benefit but displaying the insignia in a frame next to the tunic would be an acceptable alternative. Of course this is all just empty talk if I can't even find some insignia to start with.

Comment

I was watching that shoulder title and was shocked at the final price. A slightly used (and more desireable title IMO) sold today for a little over $400. Wow! But I don't believe that Ebay is a true reflection of the collector's market. The prices that pieces sell for is just simply way too inconsistent to use it as a means of determining current value for any particular item. I mean I picked up a great brass 1CPB cap badge on ebay for $50... and I know they are valued much more than that. A couple of weeks later another brass badge sold for something like $450.... more than what it would have sold for at a militaria show or shop somewhere. But I shall keep searching for some good insignia and make up a nice frame.

Comment

This past winter I sold a matched pair of canvas shoulder titles to the Battalion for just over $1000 CAD, for a matched pair, you can name your price becuase they are very rarely offered for sale. ebay can certainly be funny. A couple of months ago there was a double layer Canadian made Battalion shoulder title up there with an opening bid of $250 with no reserve and no one bought it. The next week there was a similar patch up there in worse condition and it went for over $300. It's very hard to predict, but good stuff will always fetch top dollar if it's in the right category.

Good luck with your search...

Gary

Originally posted by Infanteer View Post
                    I was watching that shoulder title and was shocked at the final price. A slightly used (and more desireable title IMO) sold today for a little over $400. Wow! But I don't believe that Ebay is a true reflection of the collector's market. The prices that pieces sell for is just simply way too inconsistent to use it as a means of determining current value for any particular item. I mean I picked up a great brass 1CPB cap badge on ebay for $50... and I know they are valued much more than that. A couple of weeks later another brass badge sold for something like $450.... more than what it would have sold for at a militaria show or shop somewhere. But I shall keep searching for some good insignia and make up a nice frame.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X