Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFC price please.

Hi all.
    I'm a german collector so I'm a fish out of water here and need some help please.
    I have the opportunity to buy A cased DFC. Its dated 1944 and has the recipients name engraved on the back. I'm aware that they were issued without the recipients name. I don't have any photos and I've forgotten the name. I have dealt with this dealer before and have no doubts about them. They offer 100% money back on their items. The price is GBP1350. Is this about the going price for a cased DFC assuming its good?
    Thanks,
    AB
    In memory of my Uncle,
    Schtz.Grenadier KARL HOFBAUER,
    2 Kompanie, Inf-Bat, 550.
    Killed in action, Krasnoje, Minsk, 7. Nov. 1942.

I would say the asking price of GBP1350 is a tad bit on the high side. Here is a dealer in Canada selling one for $2,250. However, I am not sure if that is Canadian or U.S. Dollars.
    http://www.arcticmedals.com/catalog/...08/3587212.htm
    John
    Last edited by John F.; 02-06-2007, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I agree with John a little high, but then again it's all comes down to the Recipient & his Unit! If it's a Pathfinders unit or POW, I assume he would have mentioned if his was KIA.

Hope this helps
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by John F. View Post
        I would say the asking price of GBP1350 is a tad bit on the high side. Here is a dealer in Canada selling one for $2,250. However, I am not sure if that is Canadian or U.S. Dollars.
        http://www.arcticmedals.com/catalog/...08/3587212.htm
        John
        Thanks for the link John but thats a Military Cross they have for $2250 not a Distinguished Flying Cross. Nice website though. I'll keep it in my favourites.
        Regards,
        AB.
        In memory of my Uncle,

Comment

Originally posted by Mons 1914 View Post
          I agree with John a little high, but then again it's all comes down to the Recipient & his Unit! If it's a Pathfinders unit or POW, I assume he would have mentioned if his was KIA.

Hope this helps
          Scott
          Hi Scott,
          From memory he told me that according to the London gazette of WW2 the recipient was a reconnaissance photogragher with the RAF and was awarded the DFC for flying under fire from german flak to take vital pics of some german factory. I will question this in more detail when I'm there next week. If its about the right price or "a little high" then I can wear that knowing that its 100% original WW2 or money back. Its in very nice condition as is the case. If I decide to get it I will post some pics here for viewing.
          Thanks again for your coments.
          AB.
          In memory of my Uncle,

Comment

Originally posted by andrewb View Post
            Thanks for the link John but thats a Military Cross they have for $2250 not a Distinguished Flying Cross. Nice website though. I'll keep it in my favourites.
            Regards,
            AB.
            Opps..your are right, it is a Military Cross. My mistake.

Comment

GBP1350 is rather high for just a DFC by its self.

With the rest of the group maybe!

But is the name is a Dambuster of pathfinder then maybe if it could be provided with a little Provence

Comment

Dfc

Well I think that the price is about right and it sounds like a very nice award indeed.

I paid £1,000 at auction for an RAAF DFM several years ago and was offered £1,600 for it from a London dealer last year. The DFC I have came with log book (25 sorties over Germany), plus lots of photos and the rest of the guys medals and it cost me considerably more! Have you tried Chelsea Military Antiques in London? Contact richard@chelseamilitaria.com. They are very nice guys to deal with.

Stan

Comment

Hi,

I recommend Richard Black!!! Great dealer and friend!!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

Without an officially named medal, and with no original documentation, I would want considerably more providence before I paid that much for a single DFC, personally.

DFC groups are not particularly rare as far as gallantry goes...the trick in my mind is to find one complete with other (named) medals.

I would also want a very good look at the engraving as forgers have been known to engrave genuine medals such as the DFC, AFC, MC, etc. It's dangerous territory to an extent.

Once you have a better look and get the recipient's details you can search for the citation (and other entries) in the London Gazette.

Good luck!

Comment

To Stan and Ricardo,
                      Thats Where the DFC is!!!! Good little shop and great guys to deal with.
                      Thanks for your coments.

To Adam,
                      Thanks also for your advice. I will certainly be careful re: the engraving, thats if I decide to get it. I'm thinking now its a bit more than I would like to pay for. I will think about it over the next few days. Cheers.
                      AB.
                      In memory of my Uncle,

Comment

Originally posted by Mooyman View Post
                        Hi,

I recommend Richard Black!!! Great dealer and friend!!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.
                        I'll second that, he's a great guy. most of my collection has come from him and he always manages to find some stunners.

This DFC group came from him;

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X