Desert Rat Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desert Rat Insignia

Picked these up in a buy of mixed Allied and Axis insignia and awards. Not at all familiar with this sort of item. Look OK to you?

Regards,
    Stu
    Attached Files

Hi Stu, they look fine to me.

The subject of 7th Armoured Div insignia is an interesting one. The design had subtle changes and I think you can broadly date where and when a particular type was worn. However, I don't have the details recorded, but I am sure some of the other members here might?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Their first Div sign in 1939 was a red square with white circle, no rat. According to story Gen Mike Creagh's wife visited the Cairo zoo and sketched the jerboa which was added to the sign on the approval of officers and men. It was drawn by Tpr Ken Hill of the RTR. In late '44 it was redesigned into a more abstract figure (in my mind) not as appealing as the original. I wore this for a time in late '50s with the 7th Armrd Bde. To my knowledge it is still used by them as I.D. but I don't remember British units wearing colourful Div signs after about 1963 with the introduction of No 2 dress. In conclusion I would say that these are pre-1944 - North Africa, Sicily , Italy.

Comment

I should have said that the jerboa was added in Feb 1940.

Comment

It is still used by them and I wore it during the 1990/91 Gulf War as seen in this pic, the badge below at the time was unofficial.
          Attached Files

Comment

Obviously a modern one then, Marc. During my time in the gulf and the Arabian Peninsula (60's) the only div sign was, I believe, the Aden Garrison, the Arab Dhow. The rest of us had blank sleeves.

Comment

The 7th Armored Div changed to this style after it returned to Britain to prepare for the invasion.

What does the back look like? From the front there is a very strong possibility that they are in fact W W II

Comment

Just out of interest the 7th Armoured Brigade still wear the badge Marcus has on his desert shirt, but from Op Telic 7 in 2005 it was changed to a left facing rat.

Jack.

Comment

Also changed to RED in February 2000.

Comment

I think they are an original WWII pair.
                    Incidently the Jerboa was originally red inside a white circle on a red background, and later changed to brown on black.

cheers, Rik

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X