IRISH GUARD Kilt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRISH GUARD Kilt Question

Can anybody tell me what kind of Sporran and Kilt Belt an Irish Guardsman would have used?

Off the top of my head None! If I am not mistaken as a Guards regiment they are not entitled to wear highland kit so no kilt or sporin.

It is bearskins and red tunics for them.

Comment

Irish Guard Pipers wear a Saffron Kilt with 2 broaches with green cloth backing, no sporran.

John

Comment

From what I have seen in photos of the IG, they do have a kilt, it's burnt orange in color. I just can't see the sporran clearly.

Comment

John,
          Thanks, do you have a picture of what it looks like, or can you tell me where I can find one?
          George

Comment

I think we are getting confused here between the Royal Irish Regiment whos pipers do wear a Saffron Kilt

and the

Irish Guards Regiment. whos band does not have pipers. But uses pipers from other regiments RHR comes to mind.

Comment

Ok checked a few things the Band no longer has piper but when it did like all 'Irish' Regiments they would wear

Safron.

here are some more links

Tradional Tarans

Comment

The Regimental Band(which is under the Regimental Headquarters not the IG Battalion) does not have pipers but the Battalion has a Corp of Drums and a Corp of Pipers
                It 's incorrect to referr to the Drums and Pipes of an IG Battalion as the Pipe Band.This is a Scottish expression;the IG referr to the "Pipes".Similarly the "Drums"referr to the Corp of Drums (who do not wear a Kilt)it means the drummers and fifers of the battalion.
                On State occassions the Corp of Drums and the "Pipes" form up at the rear of the Regimental Band.

John
                Last edited by John Wright; 01-23-2007, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks again for the info. Quite confusing at first.
                  George

Comment

The saffron kilt is worn by all Irish regimental pipers - either with or without 'purse' (not sporran). Don't forget the Royal Irish Regiment and the Queen's Royal (Irish) Hussars.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is that the Queens Royal Lancers in that photo or is it the 9th/12th Lancers.

Comment

It's the Royal Lancers' band. They're an amalgamation of the 9/12L and the QRL (16/5L & 17/21L). I've really lost interest trying to keep up with f***ing amalgamated regiments, as it's now quite ridiculous (RGBWLI etc).

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                          I think we are getting confused here between the Royal Irish Regiment whos pipers do wear a Saffron Kilt

and the

Irish Guards Regiment. whos band does not have pipers. But uses pipers from other regiments RHR comes to mind.
                          This is confusing, I sold my Saffron to a friend and it was clearly labeled as an IG Pipers Kilt.
                          Nico
                          P.S.: I still have my Pipers Cap Badge (Kipling II - No. 919)
                          Why do they have a Pipers Badge, when they don't have pipers.

Comment

There's nothing to be confused about. The Irish Guards do have their own pipers. They are Guardsmen (usually in the support companies) and they are not from other regiments. There are slight differences to the cut of the kilt, which is why it was probably labelled as Kilt Pipers Irish Guards.

Unlike the highland regiments.... or rather the highland battalions of the new Scottish one-size-fits-all regiment, only pipers wear kilts in the Irish units - and that includes some of the obscure Royal Artillery batteries with Irish lineage who also have their own pipers.

For the uninitiated, this is worth a read:

http://www.royalirishrangers.co.uk/uniform.html
                            Last edited by Tony Farrell; 01-27-2007, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Tony,
                              in regards to the purse, which was my original question, is there anything special about its design or is it just a plain black purse?
                              Also would it have been the same in WW2?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X