RASC - Airborne Officers Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RASC - Airborne Officers Photo

Posted this before, but I still can't identify the Men or the unit, whether it's 1st or 6th Airborne......., would be interesting to see if any were at Normandy or Arnhem.

Came from an house clearance, with some insignia & postcard & photos, belonging to 296388 Lt J. M. Clarkson or Clarkeson , I cannot work out from the group photo who he is.
    Postcards are addressed to him at H.Q Mess R.A.S.C, Clayton Barracks, Aldershot.
    Dated 28/5/1944, 31/7/1944, 16/12/1945.

Here's a few close ups.

Thanks
    Scott
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Scott,
            On this site you will find various names and pictures of men from 250 light composite coy, 1st AB div:
            http://members.chello.nl/reinders2/

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Hi Luc,

Forgot about that site, had a quick look, Interesting find..........

Captain J. I. Cranmer-Byng. MC.

At ARNHEM on the 20th September, Captain Cranmer-Byng was ordered to take an RASC party under cover of darkness and to take over a sector of the perimeter at a point where there was danger of enemy infiltration in the houses flanking the 4th Parachute Brigade position. This movement was successfully accomplished and the line was held, and at one time advanced, for four days in spite of heavy fighting and frequent attacks by mortar, self-propelled guns and single tanks.

Captain Cranmer-Byng was in command of the party throughout and was in much of the heaviest fighting. On one occasion, despite a slight wound in the hand, he shot an enemy sniper dead. On another occasion he took a party of men out with a PIAT and managed to drive off an self-propelled gun which was attacking the position at short range.

Subsequently, Captain Cranmer-Byng successfully disengaged his party, and led them down in the darkness through the enemy lines to cross the river to safety.

It was largely due to the inspiring leadership and coolness displayed by Captain Cranmer-Byng that the RASC sector held out against very considerable pressure, without food or sleep, and that the party was subsequently able to withdraw to safety when ordered to do so.
              Attached Files

Comment

He sure looks like him, but I'm not sure. I thought 250 coy had their HQ at Longhills Hall.

Perhaps you can contact Philip: airbornecompany(at)chello.nl

Cheers, Luc

Comment

That's right Luc, must be 6th Airborne then?

I contacted Philip, he's stumped as well, he doesnt think it's Cranmer-Byng, though very close...,

Were all these stationed at Clayton Barracks, Aldershot?

63th
                  398th
                  716th

Scott
                  Last edited by Mons 1914; 01-20-2007, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Great grouping Scott, is it yours? You must be verry lucky!

Comment

It would be nicer if I could figure out the unit :give up:
                      Officers are easy to research.......

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

Don't give up lol. The 6th Airborne Division were based at Bulford and it's associated area from 1943 onwards. I believe that Clayton Bks was the HQ for the R.A.S.C during the period.

As the letter was written in july 1944 i am more inclined to think he was 1st Airborne Division but as we all know this may not be the case.

All units of the 6th Airborne Divison who were involved in Normandy would have kept a rear party in the UK maybe this officer was part of that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Garth

Comment

Hi Scott, I keep looking at this photo. Not come up with anything yet but I can tell you it is not 165 Coy who were the seaborne tail of 1st A/B Div for Arnhem. I used to know one of the Officers from this unit.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                            I've checked with the Airborne Forces Museum to see if he was Para trained, & with the RASC Museum for any information they have, both have nothing, searched the web for pictures of officers from the RASC Airborne units, not a bean!

Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X