Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Reverse Attribution' of miniature medals

Hi,

I got a set of miniatures in a frame with a photograph for Christmas and am trying to attribute them to somebody.

They are, from the research conducted so far, a unique grouping which are as follows:

Companion of the Order of the Bath
    Distinguished Service Order and Bar
    Queens South Africa Medal; Cape Colony: South Africa 1902
    1914-1915 Star
    British War Medal
    Victory Medal; MID
    Campaign General Service; Palestine
    1939-45 Star
    Defence Medal
    War Medal
    Delhi Dhurbar Medal 1911
    Jubilee medal 1935
    Coronation Medal 1937
    Legion D'Honneur; Chevalier

So far I have only been able to work out that he was a general officer (I think, from his dress uniform) and that he won, before 1935:

1914-1915 Star
    British War Medal
    Victory Medal; MID
    Delhi Dhurbar Medal 1911
    Jubilee medal 1935

Anyone with any info that they may think is useful please post it.

I will try to get the photo of him put on in due course. (it is old and in a frame, so I'll need to take it out carefully).

Thanks,
    Tom

Originally posted by Brandenburger View Post
    Hi,

I got a set of miniatures in a frame with a photograph for Christmas and am trying to attribute them to somebody.

They are, from the research conducted so far, a unique grouping which are as follows:

Companion of the Order of the Bath
    1914-1915 Star
    British War Medal
    Victory Medal; MID
    Campaign General Service; Palestine
    1939-45 Star
    Defence Medal
    War Medal
    Delhi Dhurbar Medal 1911
    Jubilee medal 1935
    Coronation Medal 1937

So far I have only been able to work out that he was a general officer (I think, from his dress uniform) and that he won, before 1935:

1914-1915 Star
    British War Medal
    Victory Medal; MID
    Delhi Dhurbar Medal 1911
    Jubilee medal 1935

Anyone with any info that they may think is useful please post it.

I will try to get the photo of him put on in due course. (it is old and in a frame, so I'll need to take it out carefully).

Thanks,
    Tom

I have the first war rolls for the DSO and Bar so we may be able to narrow it down.

There is a roll for the Delhi Durbar and and Jubilee Medal

Need to see the pic really

By the way what monarch is on the DSO?

Comment

Hi,

Brilliant, thanks.

That is the annoying thing it is mounted in a case by Spinks (which are held in by metal pins) so I can't see, it looks from the obverse to be a Victorian issue but the differences are so minor its almost unnoticable, especially on a miniature.

Will try to get the pics on ASAP.

Tom

Comment

I reckon it is one of these as they are the only 3 up to 1920 with that combination.

Col G Carter-Campbell CB, DSO and bar and Legion of Honour.

Bt.Col (temp Maj General) Coffin, R.E CB, DSO and bar and Legion of Honour.

Col (temp Maj Gen) H W Higginson CB, DSO and bar and Legion of Honour.
        Last edited by Imperial-German; 01-10-2007, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Just need to check which of the three are on the Delhi Durbar roll

Comment

Hi,

Again, Brilliant, Thanks. I have searched over 200 names online (London Gazette and only one so far came anywhere near good).

The only thing is: He got his CB after 1920 I think, because he is not wearing it in the picture from 1935.
            Although he was awarded his Legion D'Honneur before 1935 (most likely for WW1).

Here are the Photos:

Photo'

Overall

Regards
            Tom
            Last edited by Brandenburger; 01-12-2007, 10:43 AM.

Comment

When do you think he got his CB?

Comment

Hi

I'm pretty sure he got his CB after 1935 but before 1952 (otherwise he would have got the coronation medal 1953).

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburger View Post
                  Hi

I'm pretty sure he got his CB after 1935 but before 1952 (otherwise he would have got the coronation medal 1953).

Tom
                  Tom the Answer lies in the Delhi Durbar medal roll as it will list his DSO and Bar. There cannot be many members who were awarded the DD and have the DSO.

Comment

His WW2 entitlement also points to BEF France and Dunkirk.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial-German View Post
                      I reckon it is one of these as they are the only 3 up to 1920 with that combination.

Col G Carter-Campbell CB, DSO and bar and Legion of Honour.

Bt.Col (temp Maj General) Coffin, R.E CB, DSO and bar and Legion of Honour.

Col (temp Maj Gen) H W Higginson CB, DSO and bar and Legion of Honour.
                      I've check out these three guys, not looking good.

Carter-Campbell - Also had 4 Clasps to the QSA + KSA, served with the 2/Cameronians in Aug 1914, so the 1915 star is out.

C . Coffin, RE, also held the VC, not much info that I can find to date.

Higginson. Had 4 Claps to the QSA + KSA and the CMG.

Hope this helps

Scott

Comment

Hi,

Thanks, I thought I knew coffin's name from somewhere. As for the other two thanks as well. This is proving to be annoyingly difficult to crack.

T

NB: Anyone any idea on the uniform? I was told it was General Officers Uniform by someone, but I have not seen anything identical in any of my reference books.

T

Comment

Going by his epaulets, he's at least a Colonel. Going by the cuff's I would have to say he is of General rank, as the cuff's for a Col would have 4 thin stripes of braid, not 2 thick one's.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong View Post
                            Going by his epaulets, he's at least a Colonel. Going by the cuff's I would have to say he is of General rank, as the cuff's for a Col would have 4 thin stripes of braid, not 2 thick one's.

Hope this helps.
                            Very much so, thanks (early-ish uniforms are not my thing), that narrows the search down then, I wonder how many Generals there were in 1935?? I would not have thought that many.

His uniform gives away little to me, no insignia nothing, the sword however looks interesting and maybe that will yield something. Maybe I'll ask the weaponry section?

Is it possible he is one of the first Brigadiers (seeing as they were only introduced in 1928)? or possibly a Major General (because of the similarities in this picture: http://www.militariamuseum.com/colle...ridgeman45.jpg or Lieutenant General as seen by this pic? of LG Stopford? http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/...topford_01.jpg ).

Best Wishes,
                            Tom

Comment

I have bought a copy of the Delhi Durbar 1911 roll, and so will start there.

T
                              Last edited by Brandenburger; 01-16-2007, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X