Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your help

What is that clasp forwer mean?

it is a rosette and indicates that the wearer was entitled to another star. I.E If you had the Aircrew Europe Star and qualified for the France and Germany Star you were not allowed to wear both so you had a bar with France and Germany which went on the medal and a rosette on the ribbon bar.

Comment

Hi, Chris has given you the answer. This site also explains it:

http://www.petergh.f2s.com/medals.htm

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

You sometimes find medals with the rosettes ncorrectly placed on on the ribbon, rather than a bar on the medal ribbon & rosette on the ribbon bar you see it with the 1914 Star of WWI too.

With some medals it is correct to have a rosette on the ribbon of the medal - but not the ones shown here.

I think the only examples of this that I've got are a BUrma Star with rosette on the medal ribbon, & a miniature 1914 Star with rosette on the ribbon.

I think the rosette on the Atlantic Star should be the bar for "France & Germany"?

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen View Post
          You sometimes find medals with the rosettes ncorrectly placed on on the ribbon, rather than a bar on the medal ribbon & rosette on the ribbon bar you see it with the 1914 Star of WWI too.

With some medals it is correct to have a rosette on the ribbon of the medal - but not the ones shown here.

I think the only examples of this that I've got are a BUrma Star with rosette on the medal ribbon, & a miniature 1914 Star with rosette on the ribbon.

I think the rosette on the Atlantic Star should be the bar for "France & Germany"?
          An example of a full size British Medal having a rosette instead of a bar is the South Atlantic Medal (Falklands War). The rosette indicates that the person was in the war zone.

Comment

Need your help

Hello chaps,

To the uninitiated, the subject or rosettes and bars to Campaign Medals can be a bit daunting.

Allow me to quote from: Collector's Guide to British Army Campaign Medals...Author: Robert W.D. Ball.

This in reference to the France and Germany, Air Crew Europe and Atlantic Stars.
            Quote... The star was not awarded in addition to the 'Atlantic' and 'Air Crew Europe' Star. Therefore, when the ribbon alone was worn, a silver rose emblem was awarded to be worn on the ribbon of the first star earned. Those who qualified for the 'Atlantic', Air Crew Europe, or 'France and Germany' star, or two of them, were awarded only the star for which they first qualified. The bar "Atlantic" was awarded on the ribbon to indicate that service had been rendered that would have qualified the recipient for the second star. A second bar was not awarded to those who qualified for all three stars..... End quote.

Hope that helps chaps!

Seph
            Last edited by findabetterole; 01-10-2007, 10:52 PM. Reason: Grammer mistake

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X