Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Royal Engineers Dress Tunic?

Hello Gents

Got this nice looking tunic in as a gift. I did some quick research as it is far out of my collecting-interests.

Am I right stating that this is a WW1 Royal Engineers Dress Tunic?

Can someone tell me a little bit more about it? I checked out the Collectors Guild to see what value these have. I noticed similar ones listed for around 160 $...in good condition that is!

Mine has some serious mothing and napwear on certain areas as well as some (period) repairs, so I guess it isn't much worth from a collectors point of view? Are RE tunics harder to come by then other branches?

Anyone else who has similar tunics to share?

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

Jan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jan Beazaer; 01-08-2007, 10:31 AM.
    'Arzt und Soldat'

Attached Files
    'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Attached Files
      'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Royal Engineers & Army Service Corps 1913 or thereabouts dated dress tunice came onto the market in some quantities about 20 or more years ago, they should'nt be particularly rare.

Looks like the buttons are correct for RE, but it's hard to tell without close ups.
        Last edited by leigh kitchen; 01-08-2007, 11:49 PM. Reason: should have typed 1913 & not 1903

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen View Post
          Royal Engineers & Army Service Corps 1903 or thereabouts dated dress tunice came onto the market in some quantities about 20 or more years ago, they should'nt be particularly rare.

Looks like the buttons are correct for RE, but it's hard to tell without close ups.
          Thanks Leigh, in fact all buttons are marked RE and appear to be original to the tunic. Didn't know that these came in quantities on the market 20 years ago, how come? Was this a kind of stock that was found?

Cheers
          Jan
          'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Yes, presumably the army dumped old stock, full dress never got back into full swing after WWI, & certainly in the 1970's - 80's uniforms of this vintage were being worn.

I saw labels in kit being worn by the band of an infantry battalion in the late 70's - trousers manufactured 1922, fusilier busbies 1913.

In recent decades new uniforms & universal pattern helmets & the like have been produced so older stuff went on to the market - squaddies are bigger nowadays so a lot of the stuff discarded tho' in mint condition is small size.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen View Post
              Yes, presumably the army dumped old stock, full dress never got back into full swing after WWI, & certainly in the 1970's - 80's uniforms of this vintage were being worn.

I saw labels in kit being worn by the band of an infantry battalion in the late 70's - trousers manufactured 1922, fusilier busbies 1913.

In recent decades new uniforms & universal pattern helmets & the like have been produced so older stuff went on to the market - squaddies are bigger nowadays so a lot of the stuff discarded tho' in mint condition is small size.
              Thanks for the additional information. I wasn't aware that these were still worn for parade/ceremonial purposes right up untill the 80's...

Cheers
              Jan
              'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

I remember when those tunics were offered for sale by International Military Antiques. I procrastinated on getting one, and regretted it when they sold out.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X